Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MightyMouse

Ultra Light Lure kits?

13 posts in this topic

Can anybody give recommendations on some good bang-for-the-buck lure kits for UL use? Panfish, bass, etc will be the likely targets. I'd like to keep it under 35 bucks total, if possible.wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

for $35 you can get a few different types of lures, rather than a kit of just one.

I'd get:

-a pack of 2" white curly tail grubs ($2-3)

-pack of 2.5" fin-s fish ($3)

-4" straight plastic worms (creme scoundrel always produces) in a muted, natural color ($4)

-couple small in-line spinners, probably 1/16 oz. ($5)

-#6 or 8 baitholder hooks for the grubs ($3)

-#4 baitholder for the worms (texas rigged hooks can be hard to set on an ultralight) ($3)

-small jigheads, 1/32 oz if you can only pick one size I'd say, 1/64 and 1/16th are also good ($5 at most)

-couple small bobbers to fish the grubs in shallow water ($2)

$28 total, now you can make sure you have good line on your reel too!

if you still have a couple dollars left, buy a small rapala. they're fun to fish, but the stuff above will usually be more productive.

Trout magnets and the trout magnet stryofoam floats you can get just about anything on them also check out uncle joes flyies they have them at dicks in multi paks have caught everything from LMB to some good size pickerals and don't forget some offset 3/0 hooks and a package of yum 7.5 inch ribbion tail worms in red shad 3 bucks at walmart if any of these don,t catch some fish with any of these then there ain,t no fish peace and good luck clammyhighfive.gif

Two 1/16 oz beetle spins, one white, one dark.

Two inline spinners size 1 or 2, one white, one colored. Remove trebles and replace with a split ring and a single #6 hook. Getting a treble hook out of a sunfish's mouth is a bear.

Two small minnow lures, either straight or "big O" style. Dig through discout bins at big box retailers to find cheap ones. I generally don't spend more than $2 bucks for mine. The fish don't mind.

One bag of 2" twist tails and a pack each of 1/8 and 3/16 ounce jig heads. Colors here are subject to your taste, but I don't do as well with flourescent jig heads.

Don't overcomplicate things. Bass and bream both hit on the stop, with the lure generally falling, and presentation is more important than the lure you are using. If you aren't catching, slow down and work deeper in the water column. Changing lures does little good if you are not getting the bait into the strike zone.

Traditional soft plastics- worms, lizards, etc- are difficult to use

with ultralight tackle unless you leave the hook point exposed because the rod lacks the backbone to punch the hook through the bait. Exposing the hook point prevents you from getting these lures into the places they are really effective. I generally do not use these lures with less than a medium light action rod and ten pound test.

View PostTwo 1/16 oz beetle spins, one white, one dark.

Two inline spinners size 1 or 2, one white, one colored. Remove trebles and replace with a split ring and a single #6 hook. Getting a treble hook out of a sunfish's mouth is a bear.

Two small minnow lures, either straight or "big O" style. Dig through discout bins at big box retailers to find cheap ones. I generally don't spend more than $2 bucks for mine. The fish don't mind.

One bag of 2" twist tails and a pack each of 1/8 and 3/16 ounce jig heads. Colors here are subject to your taste, but I don't do as well with flourescent jig heads.

Don't overcomplicate things. Bass and bream both hit on the stop, with the lure generally falling, and presentation is more important than the lure you are using. If you aren't catching, slow down and work deeper in the water column. Changing lures does little good if you are not getting the bait into the strike zone.

Traditional soft plastics- worms, lizards, etc- are difficult to use

with ultralight tackle unless you leave the hook point exposed because the rod lacks the backbone to punch the hook through the bait. Exposing the hook point prevents you from getting these lures into the places they are really effective. I generally do not use these lures with less than a medium light action rod and ten pound test.

View PostTrout magnets and the trout magnet stryofoam floats you can get just about anything on them also check out uncle joes flyies they have them at dicks in multi paks have caught everything from LMB to some good size pickerals and don't forget some offset 3/0 hooks and a package of yum 7.5 inch ribbion tail worms in red shad 3 bucks at walmart if any of these don,t catch some fish with any of these then there ain,t no fish peace and good luck clammyhighfive.gif

even with the hook exposed, a 3/0 hook is tough to set on UL tackle