Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cherd

Lures for Pop

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

My dad moved down to the Tampa Bay area a couple of years ago and recently bought himself a pontoon fishing boat. He and a couple of friends have been hitting up the bay area trying to catch speckled trout, redfish, snook, etc. He prefers using lures while fishing, and gave me some ideas of the types of colors that he likes. I'm from the midwest, therefore I am not all that knowledgeable about how to target these saltwater species (I don't think dad is either cwm27.gif ).

In any case, I widdled up 5 baits for him to try. I am planning on shipping them out tomorrow and wanted to get some pictures before they get tore up (probably due to rocks and saltwater, but hopefully by a monster snook naughty.gif ). Those of you that know how to fish for these species, do any of these look appropriate?

I only recently started trying to make crankbait type lures, and as you can see, I am still experimenting with lip style variations. I haven't actually tested any of these particular baits yet. So far, my success rate on building a crankbait with fishable action is about 10% redface.gif . If 2 or 3 of these guys work well then I'll be happy (I have high hopes for the Dipsy Doodle replica biggrin.gif ).

Hi Cherd,

Don't know anything about snook either, but I have studied lots of plugs and those look like they have been designed with a ton of thought and imagination and then executed to a very high standard. icon14.gif

I'm sure your dad will love them, but he might not want to use them in case he looses one of them. - Lurch

Hey guys, thanks a lot for all of the compliments! It's nice to be able to show my lures to people that actually appreciate them (and to be able to appreciate your work as well).

View PostAny chance to test swim them yet?

I took them down to the lake last night and I couldn't be happier with the results! The only one that didn't work all that well is the green one with the lexan lip, it had a tendency to twirl on the way in. I think that it is because the lip was too long. I dremeled it down to about half the size before shipping it off this morning, have to let dad figure out whether it made a difference or not.

The only one of the bunch that has any belly weighting is the pink "dipsy doodle" type lure. It has a really nice wiggle and runs about 5-8 ft deep. The yellow lure and the black lure also have great action and run about 1-2 ft deep. The yellow one was a pleasant surprise, I have made baits similar to this one in the past and haven't been able to get them to do much.

The big blue bait with yellow and red scales blew my mind. You have to crank it slow, and it only runs about 6 inches deep, but it has a huge waggle. The thing kicks back and forth, almost turning completely sideways in each direction!

View PostI'm sure your dad will love them, but he might not want to use them in case he looses one of them.

Ha, the very first plug that I ever made was a frog shaped topwater popper which I also gave to dad for LMB fishing. He used it once, scratched it, and now has it sitting on the mantle and refuses to use it. I'll have to send these with the stipulation that he must bang the heck out of them.

View PostThey all look cool. Great job! I think this one is my favorite:

attachment.php?attachmentid=379338&d=127

Thanks! This one more than any of the others was inspired by advice and instruction that I've come across since joining the forums. I used an approach for painting the scales that I learned about in Geppa's "How to: 3D scale a plug" thread. This was my first attempt at making a spoon bill plug, and my method was inspired by the instruction put forth in Skippy's "Building a Beast,,,wood 101" thread video. Thanks for sharing guys.

That plug that Geppa did is something else. Nice tutorial he put up. I have to admit, I'm going to try to copy that lure. Did you through wire it or is it a two piece glued together? How did it swim?

View PostDid you through wire it or is it a two piece glued together? How did it swim?

They are all through wired and made from poplar dowel rods, except for the pink one which is made from cedar. I actually would like to use cedar, however, I have a real problem getting my 1/16 drill bit to go through a piece without following the grain out of the side of the block.

The spoon-billed bait swims like a maniac! The thing just about kicks all the way sideways as it waggles back and forth. I've never seen anything like it, must be the spoon-billed effect.

My dad received the lures, and has caught a 17-inch snook on the large spoon-billed plug. He took a picture of it, but it was with his cell phone and he can't figure out how to email it redface.gif .

He has some fishing buddies that live in his apartment complex and they all love that big plug. They want me to make some for them and said they would pay $30 each. They even sent a list of color combinations and lure picture examples for the paint jobs that they want, that's freakin hilarious cwm27.gif !

I'm not really interested in building baits to sell at this point. I told dad that I'd make up a batch of reproductions to send down, and that he could do with them what he likes (give, sell, use, whatever). I especially do not want to take on the responsibility at this point because that is the first one that I have built like that, and I am not sure whether I could reproduce that action or not. Plus, I have no idea how durable my lures are, further testing (fishing) is required.

I have started up a batch of 5 similar baits, I'll post pics when I get them done. I came up with what I thought was a pretty cool way to install some rattling BB's in the stomach of one of them which worked pretty well. Unfortunately, when I epoxied the hole for the center hook hanger, the epoxy must have ran up the through-wire hole and entered the BB chamber because it doesn't rattle anymore frown.gif .