Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
madgyver

60# test mono casting reel.

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Looking at option on a 60# test mono casting reel that can hold at least 300 yards with good braking power and lightweight. No braid backing, all mono.

Torium 50 = too heavy

Torium 30 = not enough line capacity

Trinidad 40 = too expensive

Daiwa Sealine 50 = not enough line capacity

waiting on the Trinidad A options.

Are there other reels too consider?

View PostLooking at option on a 60# test mono casting reel that can hold at least 300 yards with good braking power and lightweight. No braid backing, all mono.

Torium 50 = too heavy

Torium 30 = not enough line capacity

Trinidad 40 = too expensive

Daiwa Sealine 50 = not enough line capacity

waiting on the Trinidad A options.

Are there other reels too consider?

Would an Alvey do the job?

View Post4/0 Senator?

I'm curious to hear what you're planning to use this on...headscratch.gif

I already have Penn extended 4/0s filled with 80# Berkley Big Game and they are for my Sabre 16810 rods and Sabre 540 rods. I want a smaller reel like a Newell P344F but it doesn't have 300 yard capacity of 60# mono.

The new Daiwa Saltist BG50 looks good but I'm not sure what yardage it will hold with 60# mono.

This will be for my custom wrapped Daiwa Ballistic 40 set up to bait cast for big Uluas or GTs as you folks call them.

Looking at option on a 60# test mono casting reel that can hold at least 300 yards with good braking power and lightweight. No braid backing, all mono.

Newell 546-4.6 or 631-4.2 if you need larger brakes. I prefer the 546 as I find it easier to handle.

View Post

Newell 546-4.6 or 631-4.2 if you need larger brakes. I prefer the 546 as I find it easier to handle.

400 and 500 series Newell feels big on a 22 sized Fuji reel seat. A Newell P344F fits the bill but short yardage with 60# mono.

Shimano Torium 50 is a bit too heavy on the skinny rod.

What's Avet has to offer?

I forgot to mention no spinners. Conventional type reel is what I'm looking for.

Madgyver, I presume you are trying to hold the fish and prevent it from running into a reef (?).

We have caught many GT over 65 pounds and even an 86 pounder with Penn Jigmasters, Ambassadeur 10000's and Shimano Speedmaster IV's. The drags just have to be absolutely smooth. And, of course these GT are hooked and fought in clean, open waters away from reefs and rocks.

Is there a reason that a 50-100 foot topshot of 60# mono over 65-80# braid wouldn't work? This would definitely give you more options as far as reels go, give you the same abrasion resistance on the business-end of your line, probably add a bit of casting distance as well, and cut down on the overall size, weight, and bulk of your setup. Just an idea - I don't know much of anything about ulua fishing, but if I needed to cast and hold 300 yards of 60# line while still protecting against a rocky bottom this is how I'd probably go about it.

You could go with an Avet HXW, but as of know it's only available in 2-speed and it doesn't have the Magic cast feature. IE keep a bucket of water near by for your thumb. For a few dollars more you could get a trini 40 that you can actually cast without frying your thumb... but hey.. fingerprints are overrated anyway beers.gif

Mad, you might want to check out the Newell 540 or 440. The problem with the skinny seat is the side to side wobble you will get on retrieval with wider reels. The narrower reels work better here and as a bonus, casts farther because it has less side to side resistance on the guides. The 540 should hold a good amount of 60.

Thanks for the replies.

I have thought of using PP backing but the braid line will tend to cut off other mono lines in a crowded line-up if you get a strike and the fish runs crossing other lines. It will be OK at spots where no one else is fishing but I like to use it a popular spots also. This is for my traveling gear while flying to the neighbor islands for work, so I'd be a gguest there. I'll go fishing afterwork and spend some time soaking bait at other popular fishing spots that I haven't tried yet. It's all about Respect and Aloha while fishing here in the islands.

emasuda, I have a Newell P440F reel and a pair of Newell P447F reels which is the same size as the Newell P540. They fall into the option basket but they are matched to other rods that I have. I could do 65#pp/60# mono on the Newell P344F or 50#pp/50#mono.

Maybe the Trinidad A line will have a reel that I will want.