Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dogboy

jigging for macks with sabiki rig ?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

must i be on a bridge vertical jigging, or can the thing be cast for shore in a likely spot

are they running in the five islands area, or should i pick some up

any flounder from shore?

anything else worth targeting?

i plan on bringing a crab net (and some neoprene waders, i'm not that crazy anymore!!!)

any tips on crabbing? rising tide is what i usually do

You don't have to be on a bridge, it could be a boat or wharf or dock or something but I couldn't imagine casting one more than an underhand lob- it would foul 15 different ways, i think.

They make both a 4 hook and a six hook... I have no problem casting the four hook with a sweedish pimple and two once weight on the end of it. caught a ton of macks and some small harbor pollic on it.

View PostThey make both a 4 hook and a six hook... I have no problem casting the four hook with a sweedish pimple and two once weight on the end of it. caught a ton of macks and some small harbor pollic on it.

View PostWas casting my 4 hook rig this morning....casts well with some weight and it works!

thanks- i'll pick some up

i also have some old diamond jigs i could daisy chain

do the harbor pollock make good bait too?

the first time i used a sabiki, i was in my boat in about 75 feet of water- i had a small boat rod and penn level wind

i didn't have a lead weight heavy enough due to the current, so i used a big mackerel pattern cod jig to get it down

lo and behold, after getting a few macks, i pulled in a very nice "rock cod"- which fought like crazy, not like the offshore cod which are usually like hauling in an old boot

i guess they are a sub-specie of regular cod- they can breed with each other, but the rock cod stay closer to shore and tend to be bright orange

some call them tommy cod, but i think that is really a different fish

With a 1/4 to 1ounce kastmaster or crippled herring style metal on the end I have had great luck casting 4-6 hook sabiki's from the rocks to catch Macks.

One thing I forgot to mention was that I was jigging for Mack's last year and as a bonus, caught a keeper sized black sea bass on the diamond jig I was using for weight....BONUS!

crabbing... if you go during tide coming in or out, its harder to get them to stick. but old smelly macks and chicken thigh is best for crabs....

macking, you can buy your rig... fastest... but not best.. i make my own rig, BUt i buy my flies from cabelas... use fly lures, Pink or REd and white...they tend to attack those color allot...

Where I grew up in NY, we had a great blue claw crab habitat

A smelly old chicken leg was my favorite, as was a spotlight at night with a long extension pole net along pilings, rocks etc

Cheers,

jim

word from someone living on one of the 5 islands is there have been macs around, my aunts inlaws own 2 of the houses on the largest of the 5 islands, spent many summers up there as a kid, havent been up a whole lot in the last 15 years but been working on them letting me use a house for a weekend with the boys