Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
reptile

Do you remember the fish that hooked you?

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

View PostFor me it wasn't the fish but my dad taking me fishing that got me hooked heart.gif

My Dad was working 2 jobs to keep us afloat. My Uncle always made time for me and my brother. Now my Dad is retired, and we take him fishing.

I remember catching mudsuckers as a child. That was a lot fun.

I think I got hooked by the idea of catching a striped bass--read about it in "saltwater fishing in california" and there was this picture of my dad with a big bass from the 70s that was in our laundry room. I remember catching my first one in 7th grade and being so amazed at my good fortune. It was like a character out of a book showing up in real life.

Can't remember exactly, but my first bass was caught in Sept of 1976. I remember that day very well. Missed school behind the events of this daysmile.gif

My pops used to say that fishing is in my blood then again he said that to my two other brothers and they barely fish. I loved catching snappers of the little jetty in east hampton my grandpa lived out their but the one that got me so excited when I was 10 I went sharking with my pops and caught like a hundred pound mako. My dad taged it and a couple years later the next man to catch it sent the info back to us I think it was over 220lbs. Anyway cool stuff. Now its my job to hook my son 5th generation fisherman if not i'll work on my daughters. Later gents

I'll never forget that 2lb bluefish that hooked me. After getting that SOB into the boat it went beserk and inpaled the treble hook right into me. Happened just last year.biggrin.gif

I'd near say it was that first twitch of that cork bobber cane pole fishing for bream with my grandmother on a warm summer day in 65 that set the course and showed me the amazement of this thing we call fishing.

With Dad and granddad it was all about hunting ,,,,,,,,deer, rabbit , squirrel ,dove ect...The memories are plentiful and cherished well of days in the fields/wood of learning game hunting. But Yes,!,, it was MeMa whom sent me for that galvanized bucket, pulled down the cane poles from the tractor shed wall, showed me were to dig for the worms behind the wood pile and guided the way over to Uncle Ernest pond to gift me with a wonderment that has lasted near the better half of a lifetime. smile.gif

i was sailing out in the gulf stream trailing a fluffed up piece of white rope tied to a hook at the end of a hand line

a six foot wahoo grabbed it and leaped way out of the water

we had to keep sailing to stay safe, so my shipmates pulled it in hand over hand and got it up beside the cockpit

as i was staring into its monstrous eye, it flipped its tail and was gone

but it left an indelible impression- i realized that you never know what beast might end up on the end of your line when fishing in the ocean

Yep, it was a long time ago. I think I was 12 or 13. I was fishing near my home in pond behind a local chemical company. The pond was open to the Delaware River through large piping and a smaller pond. You could fish the river or the ponds and catch carp, perch, bass. Well I'm working the lilly pads in the big pond for bass and this guy comes running and screaming about this big fish he caught in the river and not knowing what it was. I walk over to see what was going on and I see this large silvery fish with stripes on it. Well that started me leaning about them and fishing for them in the river. I went to my next door neighbor used to surf fish. I only learned that out after asking what the big rubber pants were for and he explained how he stood in the water fishing for all kinds of fish blues, bass. flounder etc.

The learning process had started and continues today some 40 plus years later.

My nan came to visit from England one time when I was 3. I would sit on her knee as she rolled up dough balls and put them on a tiny hook. The line was wrapped around a small piece of drift wood. We would catch tons of spearing and snappers on this rig right over the gunwale in our slip.

A leaping Taylor Blue; first fish on a lure.

When I was very young, I loved it when we were going to use minnows for bait because I knew that we would catch crappies or pike.

I was still little when an outboard would be put in the trunk and then on a rental boat, to drift for fluke--not much fun at all, between someone taping on the butt of my rod behind my back, when I was losing interest, and hearing "he's got the bottem" when I was paying attention. And the fish were ugly, especially the searobbins.

It was fishing (instead of waiting) and catching that blue.

I have fished for as long as I can remember. I grew up in Warren, NJ. We had a small stream, the Stony Brook that ran close to our property, and two small ponds, Shepherd's Pond and Stiles Pond that were close by. This was back in the early '60's, and the water quality wasn't very good...neither was the fishing.

But my grandparents on my mother's side lived in Leonardo, NJ, and on my dad's side lived in Toms River (in Snug Harbor, right off of Fischer Blvd.). When my grandfather in Leonardo heard that I liked to fish, he was thrilled. He took my brothers and I to the marina with cane poles, bobbers and spearing to catch snappers from the bulkhead. We had a blast. But I think it was clear to my grandfather that while my brothers "liked" fishing, I just couldn't get enough of it. He also liked freshwater fishing alot, and we fished Shadow Lake once in a while, too.

Back in Toms River, it was a different deal. My grandfather on my dad's side was strictly salt water. Their house was on a lagoon, and they had a dock with a small 16 foot boat that they used in Barnegat Bay. We fished from their dock for big eels, and crabbed from the dock as well. He would also take us to watch him surf fish at a "new" park that had opened up a few years earlier called Island Beach State Park. We hung out on the beach and watched him fish.

But let me get back on point here. Ultimately, my grandfather in Leonardo gave me a two piece ultra light fishing rod (not sure of brand any more...it was brown), and a brand new DAM Quick ultra light spinning reel spooled with 4 lb. test. He had become quite ill at that time, and he no longer was able to take us out fishing. But he wanted me to learn how to catch fish on artificials. He told me that catching fish on bait was OK, but if you could get one to hit an artificial...well, he just felt it was more of an accomplishment, more "catchworthy". So he gave me some small Mepps spinners and a little metal lure called a "Hippy". He told me to try them out, and let him know how I did.

My aunt and uncle lived in South Branch, NJ, right on the South Branch of the Raritan River. Beautiful stretch of river. I used to walk down from their house, across Kanach's dairy farm, and fish these waters. Now, armed with my ultra light set up, and a few lures, I was ready. I think I was about 11 years old or so.

I found a submerged log along the river bank. After a few casts, I was able to get the current to bring the metal Hippy close to the upstream end of the log. Then it happened...my retrieve and the current had the lure just under the surface, and I could see it as it passed in front of the log. I saw a nice sized bluegill charge out and slam the lure right in front of me. My heart skipped a beat, and he gave me a damn good fight on the UL. Catch and release was also something my grandfather preached, so back in the water she went. From that moment on, I was "hooked". I now have a 3 sons and a grandson that are similarly "hooked".

My grandfather was thrilled to hear of my success.