Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
g2h

Anyone ever had a hernia repaired?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Going under on the 26th. First surgery as an adult. I had 2 as a kid, tonsils, and wisdom teeth under both times. Don't remember what it was like? Can't say i'm looking forward to it. Out of commission 6 weeks, thought he would postpone it, but he wants it done asap. Went last week to get it looked at, operating next Monday.cwm31.gif

Dude, rest, look forward to the time off and do what they tell you within reason. I've had more surgeries than most families of five and if it need doing, do it. A nurse treated well is a nurse in your pocket. Oh and quit smoking cause they don't make it easy at the hospital.

View PostGoing under on the 26th. First surgery as an adult. I had 2 as a kid, tonsils, and wisdom teeth under both times. Don't remember what it was like? Can't say i'm looking forward to it. Out of commission 6 weeks, thought he would postpone it, but he wants it done asap. Went last week to get it looked at, operating next Monday.cwm31.gif

I have not.

I knew a man who did; the doctors implanted a plastic mesh down by his pelvis to block off the opening through which stuff was popping through.

Operation was a success.

Most hernia repairs are done laphroscopically today. In some hospitals they don't even keep you overnight.

They may not even put you under--a long time ago, I had a friend who had it done under an epidural spinal block.

They smack your finger with a small hammer. While you are writhing in pain and pissin and moanin about that they fix the hernia. wink.gif Just lay down. It's over in no time. They will put a small set of wheels on the boys so they don't drag when you walk.

Had it done twice. Both inguinal. You'll be sore for a few days. Take it easy and you'll be fine. Both were done with an epidural. The worse part was getting feeling back, just some slight discomfort nothing major. Good Luck!

Tight Lines,

DonW

If my wife had her entire baby bucket removed laphroscopically and went home that day, i am pretty sure your gonna be just fine.

Hoping the best for ya and a speedy recovery.

they're putting me under. operation will last 45-60 miuntes. Mesh will be used, mine is a epigastric hernia. I can feel the tear with my finger, right above the belly button.

It only bothers me when i'm standing, when i'm in bed laying on my back i'm fine, although i gotta push what ever's coming out back inupck.gif

View PostMost hernia repairs are done laphroscopically today. In some hospitals they don't even keep you overnight.

They may not even put you under--a long time ago, I had a friend who had it done under an epidural spinal block.

Did some looking into it about 2 years ago, and the tide was shifting back to open repair. The incisions are very small these days, and the recommendations from a lot of places were to go open unless they were going to repair 2 hernias (bilaterally).

had double hernia repaired about 10-11 yrs ago, they put me under twilight sedation and started cutting. problem was i could feel them and started thrashing around. once they put me completely out it was smooth sailing.

mine was done outpatient in a surgical center. only took the pain meds the first night and was walking around the Camden aquarium 2 days later. the 6 week vacation was nice though..beers.gif

the tear on 1 side was so bad i had to keep pushing my guts back in and actually felt better hours after the surgery than it had for at least a month before.

just take it easy so you don't screw up the repair and it should be all good.