Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Riptide

Fly me to the moon! (REPORT)

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

I had Jeb and crew on the boat to try for tuna on the fly. We had the best gear to quickly land the fish. Our target was low slot fish in the sub-59" range, but we would take a shot at bigger if we had to.

We found fish close but chose to run WWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY long to locate the appropriate size fish for the taask at hand, and locate them we did! We found tons of fish and a 50/50 mix of schools of the 70" stuff, and a great amount of fish in the 60-80# range. The conditions were perfect with FAC seas and hot temps. We could see fish for miles in every direction.

We used a teaser rod with an Ocean lure RTS in conjunction with the flyrod. Dispite everything in our favor Charlie on the fly eluded us. We had a half dozen eats on the teaser rod and several swings and misses on the fly. So close, yet so far away.

It was the first time out for this crew with the new fly gear so we learned a bunch and ironed out some minor issues. The quest will continue and Charlie will fall to this group on the fly.

Here is a short Iphone video of the action we had.

Man what a trip "take me to the moon is right!" everywhere you looked for 10 straight hours you could see busting fish. I can't remember a trip where I saw so many tuna "aired out" it was quite a sight.

Somebody must have sent them the NMFS recreational angler regulation changes because it looked like a full out SBFT celebration out there icon24.gif

tight lines

mike c

Great footage!clapping.gif

I used to run into those when I was comm lobstering years ago, and tried to describe it to people. But until you see it with your own eyes, it's tough to imagine how powerful these fish are.