Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SallyGrowler

Beach bedouins

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Why?

What's the purpose?

I go to the beach to get away from people.

It gets worse every day.

I find a decent patch of sand, wife and I put down chairs and cooler.

We take up maybe 6 square feet.

pass-out.. only to be awakened by caravan of beach cargo.

Then they form a big circle. Like a crop circle but not corn or wheat, but obnoxious people.

"yakakakakakatatatakaka... diyahear...yakakakakaatataka"

All day long.

Then some salty folks that should never be exposed to sunlight pardner up and the circle widens.

"snap-fizz.. yakaktatatakakakatata - ak-ak snort"

Some of the more industrious ones bring tables.

And they usually have a trash can in range of the big circle, but none of their trash ever goes in the can.

"yakkaatatakakakatat sqwawk! yakakayayakakaka"

They never swim. Their skin would fall off. They are furry - mostly their women.

View PostWhy?

What's the purpose?

I go to the beach to get away from people.

It gets worse every day.

I find a decent patch of sand, wife and I put down chairs and cooler.

We take up maybe 6 square feet.

pass-out.. only to be awakened by caravan of beach cargo.

Then they form a big circle. Like a crop circle but not corn or wheat, but obnoxious people.

"yakakakakakatatatakaka... diyahear...yakakakakaatataka"

All day long.

Then some salty folks that should never be exposed to sunlight pardner up and the circle widens.

"snap-fizz.. yakaktatatakakakatata - ak-ak snort"

Some of the more industrious ones bring tables.

And they usually have a trash can in range of the big circle, but none of their trash ever goes in the can.

"yakkaatatakakakatat sqwawk! yakakayayakakaka"

They never swim. Their skin would fall off. They are furry - mostly their women.

What's the purpose?

^^^

Gregariousness SallyGrowler.

Gregariousness.

Most people don't enjoy solitude.

View PostI am in a private 4 wheel drive beach club, it has turned me into a beach snob...I wouldnt even go to a public beach...

The only beaches we go to are 4WD accessible and have huge sand flats at low tide for LOTS of space. Don't go much at high tide as everyone's all packed in and that's not my scene. Last time we tried it that way, what appeared to be the cast from Jersey Shore parked all around us and lots of fist pumping and tatted up *****iness ensued. We left.

View PostThe only beaches we go to are 4WD accessible and have huge sand flats at low tide for LOTS of space. Don't go much at high tide as everyone's all packed in and that's not my scene. Last time we tried it that way, what appeared to be the cast from Jersey Shore parked all around us and lots of fist pumping and tatted up *****iness ensued. We left.

I don't get why people all need to park actually on the beach right next to each other - its just moving the parking lot next to the water. when I see 60 odd SUV's lined up next to each other in Duxbury or Sandy Neck i'm headscratch.gif

I can understand if peeps want to drive a couple of miles on the beach to get some solitude but it seems pointless otherwise kooky.gif

View PostI don't get why people all need to park actually on the beach right next to each other - its just moving the parking lot next to the water. when I see 60 odd SUV's lined up next to each other in Duxbury or Sandy Neck i'm headscratch.gif

I can understand if peeps want to drive a couple of miles on the beach to get some solitude but it seems pointless otherwise kooky.gif

years ago my wife and i would literally say "let's not stop here, there are a few people about a hundred yards up the beach". now i'm lucky to have 8 feet on either side of my truck frown.gif i still drive so i can have coolers, fishing gear, chairs, grill etc rather than walking everything up.

View PostI don't get why people all need to park actually on the beach right next to each other - its just moving the parking lot next to the water. when I see 60 odd SUV's lined up next to each other in Duxbury or Sandy Neck i'm headscratch.gif

Let me explain. When you've got kids and dragging all your shtuff out to the beach from the parking lot is a major hassle, driving out to the waterline is MUCH better. Plus, you can pack a grill, bring a keg, throw a yak up on top, etc...

As I said before, when it gets all packed in, I'm not a big fan. When it's low tide and there's tons of room at somehwere like Crowe's Pasture, it's all the better.

A combine would have been handy Sunday afternoon.

But it's the same cast of characters forming the nucleus of the "beach yenta circle".

They've multiplied.

The rudest interruption:

Wife and I are 20 yards or so from the nearest family cluster. Snooze.

Only to be woken up by the ever expanding yenta circle, because more of their friends showed up and just had to get in the circle.

It didn't suffice to be a few yards away and share in the banter, noooo! they had to set-up near my wife to the point where we had to move. This yenta set's up her chair almost on top of my wife.

I almost had a Sparky "come to Jesus" moment.

View PostLet me explain. When you've got kids and dragging all your shtuff out to the beach from the parking lot is a major hassle, driving out to the waterline is MUCH better. Plus, you can pack a grill, bring a keg, throw a yak up on top, etc...

but when you have SUV's parked each side of you, you might as well just dump your towels in front of the parking lot no ?

its still weird IMHO.

the place I am talking sbout allows you to be a solid 50-100 yards from folks...more if you want...three kids and the wife, I can set up 10 feet from my truck