Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nyatt Ken

Should I give up nights and low ???

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

Made 2 runs to east end at night 2hrs before low(switch). One night 6hrs zero no bumps period. Last night 4hrs same, threw everything darters,slugs,needles,bombers,jigs and shads. I wasn,t the only one afflected, 6 others. Am I just lucky or should I change time and tide.

They are around nights, just not in numbers lately. Very slow pick July stuff. I got a couple last night in 2.5 hrs around the same tide stage. All off the bottom on bucktails or weighted soft plastics. I'd fish the dawn plugging tides if I could, but that cycle won't restart until next weekend.

-bd

It's mid summer, and I wouldn't give up nights at all. Actually, to the contrary, I'd focus pretty much all my attention on nights.cwm15.gif As the summer progresses, the water gets warmer, and the bass (esp large) become more sluggish. Nights are cooler, and they tend to feed on the cool water stages of the tide (last couple hours of the west, beginning of the east).

I've been convinced for some time that the bass hand out in the deep cooler waters of CC Bay during the day, then follow that cooler water into the canal to feed at night.

If it makes you feel any better, I only got one small keeper size last night, and had several other bumps in over three hours of fishing last night.wink.gif

What you should try to do is learn new spots, esp in close proximity to places you like to fish. Often just moving a 1/4 mile up the canal, or crossing over to the other side can make all the difference in the world.wink.gif

View PostMade 2 runs to east end at night 2hrs before low(switch). One night 6hrs zero no bumps period. Last night 4hrs same, threw everything darters,slugs,needles,bombers,jigs and shads. I wasn,t the only one afflected, 6 others. Am I just lucky or should I change time and tide.

Make that at least 8. Even had my buddy drifting chunks just in case. Even the choggies were reluctant to nibble!

We seem to get spoiled from time to time. A few non fish nights puts things into perepective, makes one wonder, and makes one work harder, try new things...spots. I caught 2 keepers jigging one night (kept one) same spot the next night I lost 3 jigsheadscratch.gif , not even a bump~

I've always thought the very late night is much better than just after dark.

Beach or Canal it's always worked that way for me, 10 till 1 never seems as good as say 1 to 4.

Always seemed they needed time to move and get set up for the night.

Probably a bigger difference on the beach but the Canal has seemed that way too.

Ok if your on VaCa or retired....Not so much if you have to work.

It can be a tough time of year.

Last year I packed it in around early June when things were cooling down a bit and didn't get back into it again until the Fall Run.

Always remember.....there's a Fall Run too.

View Post

Last year I packed it in around early June when things were cooling down a bit and didn't get back into it again until the Fall Run.

confused.gif All my best fish last year were in the mid summer.

View Postconfused.gif All my best fish last year were in the mid summer.

I was also working 50+ hour weeks and had a newborn in the house.

Trust me....my best option was hanging things up for the Fall Run.

But the point is that even if fish are around sometimes you need to take some time, not be pre-occupied with it and just let your batteries recharge. Check the tides and scope out the nights that are likely to be better than others. Don't feel you have to be out there every minute.

There's nothing worse than getting into the Fall Run and being burnt out for it.

Better than average July so far and I think the prevalence of bait (and lack of blues) has something to do with it. In many Julys past, I've wondered why I bothered to wet a line even at night, it was that bad kooky.gif .

-bd

View PostIt can be a tough time of year.

Always remember.....there's a Fall Run too.

finally, good time to take care of a couple of home projects ,, but I won't . definately time to change it up .. nights or yakking .. Been spoiled by all the great day fishing .

We had a very good hook-up rate for 6-7 days when the bait was around.........the current slow down is not unexpected given that the bait is elsewhere.