Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
redrock

Plum Island etiquette

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

hey guys , Im headed to Plum Island in about a month from north carolina. If i understand correctly it gets pretty crowded and i dont want to makeanybody mad. Im a diehard obx fisherman so i know what im doing, but iv never fished for stripers from the surf. If any of you guys have any advice it would be appreciated.

be careful there (VERY strong currents) and there is no etiquette to worry about on that island - zippo. Go during the weekdays and it may be a little less crowded or a rainy day if we ever see that again. Might be worth a stop to surfland bait and tackle when you get there. They can set you in the right direction with what is working. Very nice people and informative.

If you are fishing the river go later at night if possible to avoid the crowds, 11p-6a is good. As stated before there is no etiquette up there in the river. If you can find space fish it.

The beachfront will give you plenty of room to operate but it has been much less productive for me.

I don't bait fish but I have done well with bouncing soft plastics and plugging up there.

View PostIf you are fishing the river go later at night if possible to avoid the crowds, 11p-6a is good. As stated before there is no etiquette up there in the river. If you can find space fish it.

The beachfront will give you plenty of room to operate but it has been much less productive for me.

I don't bait fish but I have done well with bouncing soft plastics and plugging up there.

I'll repeat the late night theme... if you're going to fish bait, which may be the best bet for stripers at that time, you're best off with a 3ft or less mono leader with your preferred hook, and several sizes of rubber core sinkers. You could go with egg sinkers above the swivel to your main line, but it'd be a PIA and cut into fishing time to have to retie, IMHO. Fishing later at night also makes this easier, as you don't have to worry about trying to drift naturally in the current amid other anglers who insist on fishing the bottom with heavy sinkers.wink.gif

If you plan on fishing certain <ahem> well known structures, be EXTREMELY careful... it'd be best to meet up with someone who fishes them consistently and is very familiar with them, for safety's sake.

You should be able to count on blues pretty consistently.

What I enjoy about fishing Plum is what I don't like about other places.

There are crowds, but they usually have a good sense of space and won't mug spots. The people are typically very polite, pleasant and even helpful in some situations.

Make sure you take some time to stop into Surfland and ask what's up, where things have been happening and what you should be using.

I'll echo the comment that there is no etiquette there- its the wild, wild west. Find a spot with some room and fish it. Be careful, stay out of the water in the river.

If you're worried about tangling with the other guys stay out of the main current where you can hold bottom more easily.

There still should be some action in the river mouth then but the beach usually does pick up as you get later into august and definately for the fall.

Stop in at Surfland and ask them for a few tips.

If u're bait fishing you need pyramids to hold to bottom with a fish finder.Bottles,tin ,bucktails,darters and lead head plastics stuff that works good in current.I've caught them on dannies and pencils as well.Don't be concerned of hanging up on the bottom chances are u won't it is made up of sand except for some areas.Good luck.

i just got back from there, fished for a little bit in the river, nothing. i couldnt believe how much colder the water is then here in NJ, it was ice cold, there werent even bluefish around (not in the numbers we get in nj). i hit the ocean side by surfland one night for a little bit walking with the wife. the beach was so steep and the water is really deep. wish i had some bunker and time to stake a rod it looked real fishy.

The first time I went surf fishing was on Nantucket. The first time a guy caught a fish, the rest of them collapsed in on him like an accordion to cast in the exact spot he had hit. Etiquette? More like the survival of the fittest. No spacing, no respect, just get out of my f'n way. I had this romantic idea of fishing in the surf - it was more like getting a taxi in Manhattan at rush hour.

The best etiquette is to forget that place and fish the canal, outer cape and other places. Maybe some one here (maybe a Ditch Troll) will introduce you to the canal.

the canal is an hour south....you do not need to worry about parking, kids lighting fires on the beach, broken bottles all over the place and you actually have an opportunity to catch a fish.

The water temps on the Mac must but 80 degrees this time of year too...

Thanks to all who contributed to this post. I'm from Md. and will be kayak and surf fishing on Plum Island next week (7-24 to 7-30). This information will be very useful. Thanks again.

View PostThe best etiquette is to forget that place and fish the canal, outer cape and other places. Maybe some one here (maybe a Ditch Troll) will introduce you to the canal.

the canal is an hour south....you do not need to worry about parking, kids lighting fires on the beach, broken bottles all over the place and you actually have an opportunity to catch a fish.

The water temps on the Mac must but 80 degrees this time of year too...

At high tide the water is 64.. if you know where to look....there is very little fresh water in the river now,so most of the water is salt....

this si beach time anyway... best catches will be outside the river proper...