Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bowboy09

bottle plug

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I just got a super strike bottle plug and I tried it out and it seems to have no wiggle or action at all.Is this normal?I got it used but it is in great shape.Does this work good in current or calm water?It floats.Any info on how to work this plug would be appreciated.It is yellow and white.I think I got ripped off!

I did a search and learned a bit, but not much.

Great plug. Works best in current, but it doesn't have to be big current, and it's not absolutely necessary. The backwash/outsuck behind a wave will do the trick. Try it in big surf.

Start your retreive with a big rod sweep or a couple turns of fast retreive to make it dig in, then retreive at normal speed. It won't swim if you crawl it slow on top like a metal lip. I suppose it's possible you got a dud, but I've never seen a dud Superstrike, so I doubt it.

Right now It seems to me that the plug has no wiggle like a bomber for instance.I know nothing about this plug,so I may ask dumb questions.It seems like a bottle plug is like a jerk bait.It has some very big and wide hooks on it,could this affect the action?

When reeling this plug in at a normal speed,should it look like a swiming fish or a log?

thanks for your help

The bottle is meant to be put below the surface. That is, once you cast, and the plug hits down, give the rod a good, long, slow, sweep upward. That will pull the lip of the bottle subsurface. Take up your line quickly, then begin a nice easy retrieve. Once it is under, at a moderate retrieve, you won't be able to see it swim, but you should be able to feel it. You will get a vibration in the rod as you retrieve - that is the bottle working. It won't (in my experience) work as a top water. You need to get the whole head under.

I have never seen or heard of a defective SS plug.

The plugs are best fished up and across a very fast current....the slower the current, the more straight out you can cast. In the slowest currents retrieving directly up current might be necessary to get them to dig. Always throw a little "pop and pause" in your retrieve....sweep the rod forward sharply, then allow the lure to float back up for a second or two...then continue normally. Stripers will often whack it as you pause after the pop. These plugs are also perfect for teaser delivery into a wind or into rough or fast waters that would give most lures fits!

bowboy,

Maybe you just didn't give it the required little pull at the beginning of the retrieve that gets the front lip to dig in and have the plug come back under the surface.

Might give that a try.

Super Strike plugs are definitely consistent regarding performance, so I doubt that the problem could be it being a "lemon" but hey you never know!

Actually bottle plugs like the Gibbs bottle shake quite a lot during retrieve once they are "dug in".

Give the initial pull a try.

Good luck.

View PostRight now It seems to me that the plug has no wiggle like a bomber for instance.I know nothing about this plug,so I may ask dumb questions.It seems like a bottle plug is like a jerk bait.It has some very big and wide hooks on it,could this affect the action?

When reeling this plug in at a normal speed,should it look like a swiming fish or a log?

thanks for your help

Cast it out slightly up current.

Crank couple of times and lift the tip so that the plug digs in.

Don't crank back just keep the constant tension on the line and pick up the line as necessary to do so.

This is your starting point as this is one of the most versatile plugs out there and there are many situations where it can be deadly.

Don't worry about the wiggle. The wiggle is for fisherman not the fish and is way overrated.

Man you guys are awesome!

I will test it out tomorrow at the pond.I did not give the jerk or sweep of the rod tip to get the plug to dig in.I know it is better in current,but the pond is better than nothing.It says deep diving but it did not seem to dive too deep.How deep should mine be diving?

View PostCast it out slightly up current.

Crank couple of times and lift the tip so that the plug digs in.

Don't crank back just keep the constant tension on the line and pick up the line as necessary to do so.

This is your starting point as this is one of the most versatile plugs out there and there are many situations where it can be deadly.

Don't worry about the wiggle. The wiggle is for fisherman not the fish and is way overrated.

greathighfive.gifThanks for the help

View PostYour not going to see the full effect of this plug in a pond. It works best in moving water.

Carlos

Yes I know,but I am going out in 2 weeks so I will see the full effect if a few weeks,I just want to experiment.