Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sharkbait19403

Waves NC, Surf Fishing

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Waves always seemed to be the kinda place that fish passed thru while on there way to somewhere else.Sharks would be a good bet.Up to Oregon,or down to the lighthouse and point,would seem more productive to me

View PostWaves always seemed to be the kinda place that fish passed thru while on there way to somewhere else.Sharks would be a good bet.Up to Oregon,or down to the lighthouse and point,would seem more productive to me

Thanks, that's a little depressing since that's where I'm staying. Looks like Oregon is a little far up the coast. I couldn't find anything that looks like point or lighthouse, are they towns?

Fish like longcaster says from the beach.But if your luck isn't too good,Oregon inlet is only about a 10 min ride north.The point &light house are about 1/2hour south in Buxton.I spent one week fishing in Rodanthie,and prefered going to the inlet for more structure.

Also try checking the OBX fourm here on SOLcwm40.gif GOOD LUCK

View PostFind the deep holes & fish them. Blues, Spanish, Spec Trout, sea mullet, pompino are all there at that time.

Thanks, do you know what baits they are throwing for the Blues and Specs? Are people throwing lures at all? I'm guessing it's the same kind of baits we use up here in NJ, squid, mackerel and mullet.

I've not fished the surf in like 10 years. I went to the store the other day and found Berkley baits for saltwater fishing. It looks like there intended to replace live bait, did you ever see or use these baits? Do you know anything about them?

Thanks again

Ok the fishing down there is a lot different than up north.

Most of the surf ( Beach ) fisherman fish bait. Shrimp & cut Mullet.

The fresher the better. NOT Frozen.

The adverage size rod is 9' & they are using 15-20lb line. Most of the fish they catch are smaller than the big stripers we get up here.

Spanish Mackral, Flounder, Speceled trout,Spots & Redfish that can get to be a decent size. The Blues run down that way but IMO are small.

I fish the Myrtle beach area & do well with 1-1/120z Kastmasters in a Silver & Blue color.

Last year when I was down there I was fishing with a 9' 1/2-3 oz Tica 2 piece rod & a Shamino Stella 5000 size reel.

You don't need that reel but that is a perfect size for what you will be fishing for.

They normally use a 2 hook rig with a sputnik sinker. & some use a fish finder rig. I've enclosed pics.

I also have had luck with the trout on Yu-Zuri Crystal minnows & Rapala Salt water X-raps size 10.

I sugest you google gofishsc & also pier & surf & look for the South Carolina Regional forum.

The are some good info if you take the time to do a search fishing in that area.

Like I stated the fishing is different than up here. Good Luck & if I can help in any other way just ask...............Ron

Attached Imagesattachment.php?attachmentid=377430&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=377431&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=377432&stc=1

View PostFish like longcaster says from the beach.But if your luck isn't too good,Oregon inlet is only about a 10 min ride north.The point &light house are about 1/2hour south in Buxton.I spent one week fishing in Rodanthie,and prefered going to the inlet for more structure.

Also try checking the OBX fourm here on SOLcwm40.gif GOOD LUCK

Thanks I don't know how I missed that obx forum!

In the surf you can get small bluefish and spanish mackeral on top. For those, you want about a ten foot rod with a high retreive rate spinning reel, as the spanish swim very fast and you are working the lure as fast as you can. Stingsilvers are the lure of choice. Tie direct, as Spanish have great eyesight and are leader/terminal tackle shy.

You also need quite clear water, as they are sight feeders, and can't see the lure in silty/sandy surf. You can drive yourself nuts casting to them in dirty water....you will see them jumping, and cast right in the middle of them all day, and not get a touch.

Anywhere along the beach, mostly at sunrise and sunset will do.....they are either around or they aren't, and it can change day to day. If there is an outer sandbar, then high tide is better, as they can't get over the outer bar at low tide. If there is no outer bar, then tide doesn't matter much. also, wind direction has an effect.....strong west or southwest winds blow sand in the water and make it dirty. NNW, North, Northeast, east and southeast winds are better. If you get southwest or west winds, then head to the beaches to the south of the Old Lighthouse site, as those beaches face south as opposed to east and will be cleaner. And of course, vice versa.....a north or northest wind will dirty those waters.

As to bottom fishing, you might get some flounder or specks bouncing a jig and grub across the bottom, but never had much luck doing that in the surf. Short of that, bait fishing for croakers, spot, and sea mullet (kingfish) can produce (squid strips, bloodworms, shrimp), but that gets old fast. Okay if you have young kids and want them to catch fish, but as I said, I get bored doing that quickly. (Although sea mullet are quite tasty.)

In August, shrimp or mole crabs (sand fleas) may get you some pompano. For these (and even the croaker, spot and sea mullet) , you want to be right at the berm and in the wash......these bottom fish hang out right behind the inner breakers waiting for stuff to wash back down the beach. I often see guys trying to cast to Bermuda and catch nothing, and then I come out and just flick the bait out 20 feet and have a fish on in seconds.

Chunking bunker on heavier gear may get you some sharks or a large ray, if you are into that. If you DO get a ray, expect to be spooled.......

Fishing with sand fleas from right at your feet out to the first bar. Pomps & seamullet will be in the wash right in front of you.

From the beach use 2 lures to catch blues & spanish

Stingsilver

Glass-minnow