Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cornbread

Bass On Proto Plug

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Working on changing from ERC to AYC for my jitterbug type lures. Went down to the creek to check out the action on the new plug. This sassy 18" Kentucky Spotted Bass wuz waitin' on it. When she hit it she came clear out of the water! Think I will leave this one natural... wink.gif

View PostVery nice plug and its great when you catch on a prototype biggrin.gif .

Just curious why you are switching from eastern red to the alaskan yellow cedar?

Thanks Mr. Johnson - to achieve better flotation without making the bodies a lot thicker up front so I can rig some with larger hooks and not distort the action of the lure. After much trial and error I find that if you place your rigged jitterbug type lure in water and it floats with the head down and the tail hook in the air, it will still work, but has a sloppy action on retrieve. If it floats with the hook tie above water (usually) the action is tight and consistent.

After about 20 tries I could get the action I wanted with ERC sapwood but not the red heartwood. Since I plan to rig some of these lures for saltwater I didn't want to use the (white) sapwood since it is known to not hold up well in saltwater applications. I also discovered this with cedar fence posts. The ERC sapwood will rot away in less than two years where the ground stays damp. (at least here where I live) The heartwood will be still be going strong. I do like to use the ERC sapwood on small top water lures for fresh water because it is so light and floats the hooks well.

With the AYC I find I can keep the streamlined body, get the action I want without adding weight to the tail (which presents its own problems with this small a lure) and have a lure that will hold up in the salt. I still use the ERC on the ones I rig with #4 hooks. Hope this makes sense. Not scientific I know but is based on a lot of work and observation. May be more information than you were asking for. THX! CB smile.gif

View Postwow... how good is that....was it caught on the first cast? nice jitterbug highfive.gif

Hi Eurojett05 - not on the first cast. I had thrown across a log in the creek and she swirled at it when it swam across the log. When I threw back to her she swirled at it again and I kept on reeling. She caught up with it and nailed it! Love catching bass on top water! THX CB

View Postlol just goes to show the unimportance of a color scheme! i think you made the right choice!

I agree. I have been using bone colored plugs and they work in both fresh and saltwater.

Nice Jitterbug! I have some that are really old. I also have some which seem to be made from plastic. They work but I prefer wood. C2

View PostI agree. I have been using bone colored plugs and they work in both fresh and saltwater.

Nice Jitterbug! I have some that are really old. I also have some which seem to be made from plastic. They work but I prefer wood. C2

Hi Charle2 - I have some of the plastic ones also but don't like the way the rear hook is attached. Also just love wooden plugs! smile.gif