Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike74

Yellowfin Tuna

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, first post. Anyways, I need some advice. I have never eaten Sushi in my life, and I am not a fish fan other than fried catfish. which I absolutely love. However, I am trying to broden my horizons if you will. So last night my wife and I, along with a friend went to a sushi bar to eat. I ordered the yellowfin tuna sashimi. It was an 8 oz piece cut in to 1"x2"x1/4" thick slices. I tried eating a slice several different ways. I tried 2 small pieces raw, a piece with a slice of cucumber, and a piece dipped in a couple of sauces. I did not like it anyway I tried it. So, because I had mostly all of it still left, and it was $16 dollars, I didnt want to waste it, so I threw it on some ice and brought it home (not directly on ice, put the cucumber slices between it) and then put it in a plastic bowl and in the fridge. I am now wanting to try it cooked, but can only find recipes for actually steaks and not the small slices. I dont want to ruin it by over cooking it, and I want to try pan searing or frying it. I dont even like my steak medium or rare if that helps, I am more of a well or medium well done person.

So what do you recommend for a sautee and how long do I cook the slices?

Thanks,

Mike

Sushi is an aquired taste. You went for the home run right out of the box. Next time you want to try sushi order some cooked maki aka rolls. Try some shrimp tempura, soft shell crab, eel, futo, california and work your way up. With the type of tuna you have cooking it isn't really an option since it is so thin. Cooked through tuna is nasty. I don't think you have any way to prepare it that you will like. My best advice would be cut it into cubes marinate it in a soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, mirin mixture and put it in a salad that is called poke (poke-ay)Throw some hot dogs on the grillsmile.gif P.S. welcome! Another thing 16 for sushi is cheapwink.gif

LOL... Thanks, I guess I am a cheap ass. I went for it because a friend said he tried that at the same bar the first time and really enjoyed it. I just hate to waste so much, my wife didnt like it either, but she does like some sushi.

It's going to be really hard to sear sushi sized pieces of tuna. The sushi slices will have too much surface area to sear. They will just cook. The following will work for them, but it will be more like canned tuna taste than yellowfin taste.

When I make seared tuna, I take a whole steak and mix up a little sauce to marinate it in for a little bit. 3 parts soy sauce, 1/2 part Worchestershire Sauce, 1/2 part rice wine vinegar, a little white pepper.

Salt the tuna steaks and then dip them in the sauce for a little while. I give it about 10 mins.

Then dredge the steaks in freshly ground pepper so they are well coated on all sides.

Get a pan hotter than the depths of hades (ok, not that hot, but just under the smoke point of your oil) with some good cooking oil (canola or vegetable works).

Once it is hot, toss the steak on with some tongs and watch closely. Pepper burns!

Once you see about 1/8" of searing around the edge of the steak, flip it over. It will take less than a minute.

Sear the other side until you see an 1/8" of white show up along the side of the steak.

Take the steak in your tongs and then sear each edge for about half as long as it took the flat sides of the steak. Once all of the pink has disappeared from the outside, slice the steak into sushi/sashimi sized pieces.

Chill and serve.

Form it back into a steak, take a couple wood skewers, and insert to make an X. That should hold it together well enough to grill, broil, or pan fry. However, if you like well done beef you'll never take to sushi, IMHO. Tuna is not that challenging at all in the sushi world. Gently poaching the slices and making tuna salad would be the best solution for you.

View PostForm it back into a steak, take a couple wood skewers, and insert to make an X. That should hold it together well enough to grill, broil, or pan fry. However, if you like well done beef you'll never take to sushi, IMHO. Tuna is not that challenging at all in the sushi world. Gently poaching the slices and making tuna salad would be the best solution for you.

You just gave me an idea. What about putting it in a food pro add a little egg and bread crumb. Tuna burger!

View PostYou just gave me an idea. What about putting it in a food pro add a little egg and bread crumb. Tuna burger!

You would be better off chopping it by hand. The burger is a good idea.

Made some burgers from BFT today.

Recipe is Tuna Burgers Nicoise from epicurious.

I subbed Helmann's for the non-fat mayo and pan fried them. Tasted great but were tough to hold together. Not sure if non-fat mayo would have made the difference but they would never have survived a grilling. A real good chilling after you form the patties probably helps too.

1 10-ounce russet potato, pierced several times with fork

1/2 cup nonfat mayonnaise dressing

4 teaspoons Dijon mustard

1 teaspoon white wine vinegar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1/2 cup finely chopped fresh basil

1/4 cup diced pitted brine-cured black olives (such as Kalamata)

4 teaspoons chopped drained capers

4 teaspoons minced shallots

1 pound skinless boneless fresh tuna steaks, finely chopped

Nonstick vegetable oil spray

4 3-inch-long pieces French bread

4 tomato slices

4 butter lettuce leaves

Preparation

Cook potato in microwave until tender, about 5 minutes per side. Peel potato; mash enough to measure 1/4 cup (packed).

Place 1/4 cup mashed potato in bowl. Mix in 1/4 cup mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper, then 1/4 cup basil, olives, capers and shallots. Add tuna and combine gently. Shape into four 1-inch-thick patties. Mix remaining cup mayonnaise and 1/4 cup basil in small bowl.

Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Spray both sides of burgers with nonstick spray; grill until just opaque in center, about 4 minutes per side.

Cut bread pieces lengthwise into thirds; discard centers. Spread basil mayonnaise on bottom halves. Top with burgers, tomatoes, lettuce and bread tops.

Sashima is a little harder to get a taste. Start with sushi and work your way into it if it appeals to you.

I would recommend making spicy tuna maki rolls from those YFT leftovers. You need toasted nori, short grain rice, sushi seasoning (rice vinegar, sugar and salt) some julienned avocado or cucumber, spicy mayo sauce (mayo with hot sauce basicly) and a bamboo mat for rolling. Can be as complicated or simple as you like by adding other vegs, toasted sesame seeds, fish roe. Most big grocery stores will have all of it. You can look up instructions online, not difficult.