Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chigger

TFO 8wt Axiom question

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

How many of you use your 8wt axiom as though it's a 9wt?

Not trying to be funny. I've read were folks up line the rod or even say it is a 9wt. Wondering what you guys on here think.

I don't have any real experience with any other brand of rods.

Thanks

If you are having trouble loading that rod with an 8 wt line, try the RIO Out Bound Short line in 8 wt and get back to me.

I have a 9 and 10 wt TICRX and use the RIO OBS and it loads them very well and shoot line like a cannon.

I have both the 7 and 9 weight Axioms, I use an OB short 8 on the 7, and OB short 10 on the 9.

I also use a Wulff Bermuda Triangle Taper 10 wt on the 9, which is a nice match for the Axion.

My 9 wt Axiom is stiffer and more powerful than most 10 wts I have tried. I have a few buddies who have the Axiom 8 wt and consider it a sweet 9 wt, leaving their much more expensive rods at home.

My 8 wt Axiom is my go to 8 wt for the salt. I do not use it as, nor consider it a 9 wt, I use it as an 8 wt with a Rio 8 wt Bonefish line, it's a superb 8 wt that easily tosses the entire 105 ft of an 8 wt line. The Axiom 8 wt is my primary bonefish rod in the Keys. If I want a 9 wt I use a 9 wt smile.gif.

Thanks guys for the replies. Keep them coming.

I am not having trouble throwing 8wt line with it. Nor do I have trouble with a 9wt line.

I am mainly concerned with my lack of general industry wide knowledge of what is an 8 or a 9. I hear some folks argue both sides and would like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks again guys. I appreciate the time.

View Post

I am mainly concerned with my lack of general industry wide knowledge of what is an 8 or a 9. I hear some folks argue both sides and would like to hear your thoughts.

You not alone. There is no standard for fly rods. Only for fly lines: AFTMA for single and and AFFTA for two hand fly rods.

We are casting fly line and fly of course, not the rod so it is the fly line which makes the system what it is and that is the reason in casting competitions there are restricted weights for lines. Also lines are much easier to inspect than rods. However there are exceptions (like blue water fishing) where rod is selected mainly for fighting the fish.

Best way (and the only one I know there is) to compare rods is called Common Cents System. Using it it is easy to measure ERN which means what is effective rod bend (rod wt class) and AA= action angle which is how fast action the rods has. CCS has evolved and not there are MOI=moment of inertia= rod weight along its lenght, which means how "crisp" the rod is and also Frequency which is still bit controversial. There is a lot of information in Inet and tables of hundreds of rods.

Esa

Thanks again for more good stuff.

Can anyone talk about the Axioms (8wt) lifting or fish fighting power as compared to other 8s or 9s?

Thanks for indulging me guys.

My Axiom 8 tosses big flies and I have not felt the need to use a heavier line with it. When it can't pull a really big fly, or I think I need a heavier rod for fighting a fish I move up to a 10 wt rod ad line.

In fact, I fish with a Sage Xi3 and an Axiom and they are both very similar in the way they fish. The Sage is lighter and a pleasure to blind cast for a couple of hours, but it is not as durable as the Axiom if you screw up and nick it like I have, it is out of commission for three weeks and $50. If I were to go on a trip where I could only take one rod, I'd take the Axiom just for its toughness and ability to fish well.

lets talk turkey.

on my scale:

8 weight z-axis: 112 grams

9 weight glx: 142 grams

8 weight axiom: 152 grams

even using published weights, the 8 wt axiom weighs more than the sage xi3 12 weight with a foregrip. i like the rod and am well aware there is more to this all than the weight of the rod. but calling it an 8 weight is a bit of a stretch wink.gif

View Postlets talk turkey.

on my scale:

8 weight z-axis: 112 grams

9 weight glx: 142 grams

8 weight axiom: 152 grams

even using published weights, the 8 wt axiom weighs more than the sage xi3 12 weight with a foregrip. i like the rod and am well aware there is more to this all than the weight of the rod. but calling it an 8 weight is a bit of a stretch wink.gif

I have the 6wt Axiom, and I like the rod's action a lot for long distance casts--and I typically fish it with a WF7F line. With this being said, it is significantly heavier than other rods with the same rating, because a) it has rubberized burl cork accents and b) has three HUGE stripping guides while most 6wts have two smaller ones. Mine is paired up with a Sage 3880CF reel, which is relatively light for the size and the combo feels nice--with a heavier reel, it no longer feels like a 6 or 7wt, but more like a 9wt in the hand with 7wt performance.

If I had the money sitting around to blow, I probably would have bought one of the lighter Sage's or a Helios instead. Its a nice rod, with decent looks and great action, but it doesn't match the overall feel of some more expensive rods (rightfully so).

View PostI have the 6wt Axiom, and I like the rod's action a lot for long distance casts--and I typically fish it with a WF7F line. With this being said, it is significantly heavier than other rods with the same rating, because a) it has rubberized burl cork accents and b) has three HUGE stripping guides while most 6wts have two smaller ones. Mine is paired up with a Sage 3880CF reel, which is relatively light for the size and the combo feels nice--with a heavier reel, it no longer feels like a 6 or 7wt, but more like a 9wt in the hand with 7wt performance.

If I had the money sitting around to blow, I probably would have bought one of the lighter Sage's or a Helios instead. Its a nice rod, with decent looks and great action, but it doesn't match the overall feel of some more expensive rods (rightfully so).

I also have a 6 wt and the rod does seem to be heavier than necessary for a 6 wt. The butt section is hugh and so are the stripping guides. For a 6 wt, I prefer something lighter.

Mark Sedotti wrote

"The 8 Weight Axioms I've tried take 9 wt. lines, and are perhaps even light 10's"

What do you say?

Thanks

View PostI have the 6wt Axiom, and I like the rod's action a lot for long distance casts--and I typically fish it with a WF7F line. With this being said, it is significantly heavier than other rods with the same rating, because a) it has rubberized burl cork accents and b) has three HUGE stripping guides while most 6wts have two smaller ones. Mine is paired up with a Sage 3880CF reel, which is relatively light for the size and the combo feels nice--with a heavier reel, it no longer feels like a 6 or 7wt, but more like a 9wt in the hand with 7wt performance.

The weight of the rod has very little to do with the burl accents or the over-sized strippers. A 9' 4wt axiom blank weighs exactly the same as a 9' 9wt T&T horizon blank. The blanks are obscenely heavy for what they are.