Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wizard Owl

First Fishing Experience in a Kayak

8 posts in this topic

Hit the coast last week for some beach action as well as some fishing. I stayed on a small saltwater creek than dumped into the ocean a mile from where I was.

I had access to a kayak, so I set the minnow trap and caught the ultimate inshore bait: mudminnows.

I drifted, paddled, and fished the creek over its whole length about 3 times before I got the target fish figured out. I picked up one keeper redfish over an oyster bed (figured that out the next low tide) and one undersized rat red by a small concrete block pile. I put 2 and 2 together and anchored by a 25 yard stretch of a granite rock block wall with oysters all over it when the next low tide came in. Sure enough the fish were there. That pattern held true until a front pushed through two days ago. I still could catch one every time out, but the fish weren't biting in numbers. I left early this morning.

In all, I caught redfish, flounder, oyster toadfish (including a one eyed one-he was a mean lookin' mofo), sharks, and bluefish. All were caught out the kayak and the ones that got kept got their picture taken on the dock/cleaning table.

Redfish1.jpg

Redfish2.jpg

Redfish3.jpg

Redfish4.jpg

Redfish5.jpg

Redfish6.jpg

Awesome Congrats! clapping.gif

I still remember my first yak fishing day almost 6 years ago. Bayside creeks in NJ like you mentioned. Lots of small Bluefish, flounder and a striper. I was hooked for life. biggrin.gif I own 3 yaks now for me and my 2 boys.

Yeah, I'm hooked. I'm looking to get a kayak to run the rivers around here.

The Stradic and Cumara are an awesome combo. Lightweight and they haven't had any problems with redfish or stripers. The baitcaster is a Citica and the rod is a Compre. I'm a Shimano fan if you couldn't tell biggrin.gif