Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Noclues

Penn 975

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

Any members have first hand experience with the Penn 975 level wind star drag model? Med/Hvy fresh water (Musky & big Cats) to light salt water (stripers & tarpon). Thanks.

View PostGreat reel, very smooth casting, strong drag, but the push button release could have been designed a little better.

View PostAnd the levelwind pawls wear prematurely.

Both of those are deal breakers, IMO.

I had two 975s. The first one was such a great reel for the first month, that I bought a second one. Then they started eating level wind pawls regularly, and the push button started popping up mid cast and causing break-offs. Any little bit of grease or other contaminant that gets into the push button release will cause that, and it isn't the easiest reel in the world to take apart. It's a maintenance hog IMO.

I sold both.

I'd never buy another one. At least not a star drag model with that push button.

I have a 975 that I beat the living snot out of, never experienced any of the above issues, but always have extra pawl, main and pinion stashed away in my traveling parts box.wink.gif

View PostThanks for the comments on the 975. The negative seem to outweigh the positive. Would you think the ABU TORO 50/60 would be a suitable choice.

Saltist 30 HA/LW is about the same size as a 975. Same style one piece frame. And it has a foolproof lever activated free spool--no pushbuttons. Lever forward, spool is unlocked and stays that way until you flip it back.

And it's about $40 cheaper than a 975.

They also make a 20 size which is a 'tweener between a 965 and 975.

975 heart.gif

THats what I caught my 30lber on on thanksgiving day. Lots of bluefish up to 15lbs that day to. It likes tog to.

Not a star drag though.

I love mine, but it's 10 years old or so. Never had a problem and it's caught a ton of fish. I heard they had a dip in quality a few years back when they started to have parts made in china, that may explain the mixed experiences.

Don't know!

View PostSaltist 30 HA/LW is about the same size as a 975. Same style one piece frame. And it has a foolproof lever activated free spool--no pushbuttons. Lever forward, spool is unlocked and stays that way until you flip it back.

And it's about $40 cheaper than a 975.

They also make a 20 size which is a 'tweener between a 965 and 975.

Never had the button problem with my 975 but it does eat pawls. I use a Saltist 30 LW that I magged now but still throw the 975 sometimes. The Saltist is a better reel however.

View PostI love mine, but it's 10 years old or so. Never had a problem and it's caught a ton of fish. I heard they had a dip in quality a few years back when they started to have parts made in china, that may explain the mixed experiences.

Don't know!

That might explain why my buddie was reeling in a pathetic fluke one minute with a nice 975 on a seeker and the next minute he was just holding a seeker and a reel plate as the 975 TACK WELD!! decided it no longer wanted to be connected.cwm31.gifbeatin.gif

I have an old style frame 965 (one size smaller, but same guts). I fish it hard on cod trips, tuna trips, Block Island trips, tog trips, and surf fishing trips... haven't killed one pawl, haven't lost a single lure due to the push button, and can't find a conventional reel with a more hardcore drag.

As far as the pawls getting worn prematurely, I think it's funny that some of the more popular conventional reels talked about on this site, the levelwind Abu 6500 and 7500, are notorious for eating pawls like popcorn, yet the same issue with the International makes it a piece of junk headscratch.gif.

I call shenanigans.