Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tuntini31

Kayak ocean fishing

6 posts in this topic

I need some help in finding a good kayak for fishing in the ocean (bay).

I am intermediate kayaker i guess. What are the good models that would be good for me or what would you guys recommend? I am looking for decent kayak at a good price. i don;t really know alot about them but any recomendations even ones i havent listed would be greatly apreciated

I've been looking at: Madriver synergy 14

perception captiva

wilderness 14ft Tsunami

Perception shadow 16.5 ft

heritage ocean going kayak 13

17.5 ft aquaterra sealion

17 ft perception eclipse 2002-2003

14ft old town natucket

OCEAN KAYAK FISHING!!!

THANKS scuba.gif

View PostI need some help in finding a good kayak for fishing in the ocean (bay).

I am intermediate kayaker i guess. What are the good models that would be good for me or what would you guys recommend? I am looking for decent kayak at a good price.

OCEAN KAYAK FISHING!!!

THANKS scuba.gif

So are you fishing in the ocean, or the bay?

Both, if you are fishing a large bay like the Chesapeake, can make some big seas, and can get nasty in a hurry.

If you are indeed fishing the ocean, you'll have to take surf launches into account.

As for specific models, its like asking which car is good for a road trip. Way to general.

The universal advice, go test as many models as possible, get suggestions not only from shop owners, but from anglers that actually use the boats. Then from all the models you test, pick a couple favorites, talk to some more people that own em, ask about the specific models on the forums, and then make your choice.

My choice would be The Ocean kayak Trident 13 and 15, WS Tarpon 140 and 160, and the Native Watercraft Manta Ray 14.

Check out the Hobies as well, Shipwreck and Wurk2Fish here on the boards use them, and I have have fished with both of em, they will give you honest advice.

I fish the 13.5 Wilderness Tsunami and can't say enough about it. Great 3-way seat,rudder,very light and fast. The only place I don't take it is surf/ocean rough stuff,thats when the sit-on comes out.