Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
henryj02

Cork ape and reel seat help needed

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

I have built a few dozen rods but I have never tried to do a cork tape grip with a trigger reel seat. Any one have any hints to keep the tape nice and even and not comming off the blank at the front and the back of the reel seat. Thanks in advance for any hints!

Put the section behind the reel seat on first. Just use black electrical tape to secure the ends. Then mount the reel seat. I like to push the reel seat down so the cork tape goes inside the seat by maybe 1/8 inch. Once the reel seat cures , do the foregrip with the cork tape. To do this I cut the angle in the end of the coek tape and wrap it on . I use a small screwdriver tip to puch the end of the tape under the from of the reel seat too by about 1/8 inch. Then secure both ends with the black tape.

i then wrap thread over the cork tape for maybe 3/4 to 1 inch at the butt , behind the seat , in front of the seat. You can wrap right over the black tape or peel it off and wrap directly over the cork tape. At the front of the foregrip , I use a razor to taper the cork tape down to the blank. I do this over maybe 5/8 to 3/4 inch length. Do not hit the blank with the blade. I then wrap thread up this taper just like you would up a guide foot. For the taper I like to wrap up the taper , cut and pull the tag end through then start again at the blank and wrap a second layer upo the taper.

Finish all the thread by applying your epoxy thread finish.