Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lancer1

Newbie here with question

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Hello and good day,

I was on the net looking for an answer for fishing rod and found this awesome site and browsed at the threads and I know I am in the right site and company where I will learn a lot so I joined. I am on the entry level to surf fishing and gathering things, so I'm on the level of reading and gathering info's here. I apologize if my first post contains questions.

I saw this rod displayed on sale bin of a local tackle store

Penn Spin Fisher Big Game Surf SBG 6811 H 11' 2 pcs 15-30 lbs 2-8oz lure selling for $30.

??All I read on the forum are Medium- Medium Heavy powered. Any thread about 11' heavy power? What fishing situation or lure/bait is heavy power rod suited for?

Reel I bought last week from a garage sale is a well used, scarredbiggrin.gif 704z with bail less conversion and spare spool for $25. Previous owner included the orig bail part just in case I don't get used to bail less. I also bought the rod that goes with it but it's on his vacation house in Florida. He said it's 2 pc. old (? year he bought it) lamiglas 9 or 91/2 ft yellow rod with blue handle. Dont know model #. It's already a done deal. Paid him $40 shipping incl and his daughter shipped it to me, coming early next week.

Thank you

Thank you sirs... Saved me money hahaha... I don't know the power of that yellow rod yet. I bought it because the old man said it's perfect for that reel. I don't know what he means until probably when I attach that reel on that rod and use itbiggrin.gif

BTW is there a thread explaining or discussing the difference bet MH and H, advantage/disadvantage of each one if they're both of same length.

Welcome. As a newbie, you owe us a joke. You got a great deal on the 704, and probably on the Lami too. I suspect the Penn is well worth the $30, but don't know the rod, so don't take my word for it. Someone who knows it should chime in. Manufacturers ratings vary--MH for one might be H for another. Pay more attention to the line and lure ratings. (But even there the different manufacturers vary--some ratings are more realistic than others.)

You will get better advice if you let folks know where you will be fishing (what part of the coast; beach jetty, bay, etc.) and what you will be targeting.

Ex googan,

So thats the rule here. A joke from a newbie hahaha. I'm much of a listener to jokes but I'll keep that in mind. As soon as as I heard a good one I'll share it.

Ok about the what when where question. Since I'm really new and just starting to this sport, I'll try to answer them as much as I can.

Where- Mass. And maybe neighboring states in the future. Place is any fishable beach until i gather right spots.

When- This one is hard to answer hahaha..... That will depend on what i read here

What- hmm all I can say now is whatever bites whatever I throw in the water but of course I want to experience catching those big stripers I see here in the forum..

Lures/ baits- I'm reading and listing from this forum what to buy and use on particular area on particular part of the year. Dont want to experiment and Can't buy everything because got a kid going to college this fall.

Just glad I have the reel now and rod soon so at least I'm moving one step at a time.

Thanks guys for helping me figure out things new to me.clapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gif