Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
quan808

Abu's made in Hawaii

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Every year I try to rebuild an Abu, this year it was an old Abu 7000C.

For the past few years I have had a stable of Shimano Calcutta 700's/700B's, and Abu 7000's and 7500's. This past June I went home to Texas and played with them side by side, and I have gone back to my first loveheart.gif . The Abu's just casted better, and were as smooth as silk. They are upgraded with ceramic ABEC 7 bearings, ceramic pawl, carbon drag washers and some have the upgraded bearing worm gear. I added a little bling with the flashy 7000C3 stickers, and the new power handles.

I liked the Calcutta's, but did not like the placement of the clicker, and it did not feel balanced on my rods. It seemed like the frame was too wide, and the reel would wobble when fighting a fish.

I can't wait for the fall bullred rundrool.gif . Gonna bring a couple of these with me when I come to the East Coast at the end of September toobiggrin.gif .

Quan, super. Enjoyed just looking at them.

The older Ambassadeur 7000C is IMHO the best of the 7000's. The one with the flat top thumb screws on the right side plate. Everything about that reel is tops - the machining of all parts are superior to the later 7000's, the side plates are brass and never corrode unlike the cheaper Aluminum ones. Heck, even the 2 spool end ball bearings in the side plates lasted a lot longer than the current so called hi end balls. The only upgrade, if at all, really is the addition of a ball bearing in the drive system making it a C3.

View PostQuan, super. Enjoyed just looking at them.

The older Ambassadeur 7000C is IMHO the best of the 7000's. The one with the flat top thumb screws on the right side plate. Everything about that reel is tops - the machining of all parts are superior to the later 7000's, the side plates are brass and never corrode unlike the cheaper Aluminum ones. Heck, even the 2 spool end ball bearings in the side plates lasted a lot longer than the current so called hi end balls. The only upgrade, if at all, really is the addition of a ball bearing in the drive system making it a C3.

Very nice upgrades, Quan.... I quoted Jack for concurance....I have 2 1/2 of the first black C's: 1 NIB, one worker, and a partial for parts. These, **and** your chrome one have the brass side plates. On par with correctness, and longevity would be the first black 7000C syncro. They are true to the world as well, with the same brass sideplates as the 7C's.

I have a question: RE: the power handles from later Abus: do you have enough threads up for the handle nut, or did you need to modify either the crank, or the driveshaft. Thanks. KD

View Post

I have a question: RE: the power handles from later Abus: do you have enough threads up for the handle nut, or did you need to modify either the crank, or the driveshaft. Thanks. KD

I've put power handles on all of my ABUs and have experienced no difficulty in installing them. Maybe I've just not come across one?

Very nice collection of ABUs(drool wink.gif)! C2

View Postnice abu's there, how far of a cast do u get with one of those? I have a 7500 chrome and dont really use it much.

Never really measured, may do so soon and get back to you.

View PostHey Q, how many do you need? biggrin.gif I only need one, that silver one. clapping.gif

Good looking reels.

Bill, I have 3 of the chrome 7500'sbiggrin.gif , and may need a few more

View PostQuan, super. Enjoyed just looking at them.

View PostVery nice upgrades, Quan.... I quoted Jack for concurance....I have 2 1/2 of the first black C's: 1 NIB, one worker, and a partial for parts. These, **and** your chrome one have the brass side plates. On par with correctness, and longevity would be the first black 7000C syncro. They are true to the world as well, with the same brass sideplates as the 7C's.

Thanks guys. I have 3 7500's and 3 7000 Blue Yonders. I figured it would be easier to color code for maintenance purposes. New power handles fits with no adjustments.

View PostAlright so I got a question. Is it possible to add a levelwind to a non LW abu?

Yes, but it may be more cost effective to sell the one you have and buy the one you want, but if you are intent on doing a reverse conversion, I can walk you through it.

View PostAlright so I got a question. Is it possible to add a levelwind to a non LW abu?

Anything is possible with Abu, given the will, the time, and the money.

Your quesiton has forks in the road. Is the frame a dedicated non-level wind one, or is your frame a converted regular one.

Does the non-crankside sideplate have the post for the idler gear right underneath the Abu coat of arms, or is there no post present?

The quickest (not necessarily the cheapest) way to convert is to buy a regular frame for under 30.00, and another sideplate for under 20.00. Then the idler, worm, line carriage, and worm shroud.

After you add up all the parts new, it may behoove you to search the flerabag for a good used level wind reel.

View Post

Yes, but it may be more cost effective to sell the one you have and buy the one you want, but if you are intent on doing a reverse conversion, I can walk you through it.

I'll probably just see if I can't sale or trade it then. Thanks!

View PostI'll probably just see if I can't sale or trade it then. Thanks!

Used Abu 7000's will generally sell in the $60-$100 range, depending on condition and the model. Some less and some more. You can easily rack up that much in parts cost in a rebuild if you decide to go all new/upgraded.

View PostNice work Quan. Any chance next one you build you can give some in progress photos.

Sure John, I will have to remember that next time, but for the time being check this video out

http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...00+mag+eli te.

Also, there is a full step by step rebuild in the maintenance section. Let me find it for you.

http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...u+6000+rebuild

Slightly different push button release parts on the 7000, but this is a great step by step.

View PostYou know other than Stella's I love Abu's.

Here's the deal. Send me one & I will feild test it for you! cwm27.gif

Very nice Job My Friend!!highfive.gif

Ron, for you, whenever you are readywink.gif