Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sodabiscuit12345

'rebuilt' reel? How good or bad can it be?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Im thinking about getting one of the reels on the BST. Im very much a newbie when it comes to cleaning and fixing reels.

I was just curious to know what are any disadvantages of buying a 'rebuilt' reel? Im assuming that means there are new gears and stuff on the inside?

Can they be 'just as good as new' if there are all new parts on the inside??

thanks

caveat emptor! (or however that's spelled.)

Questions you gotta ask:

Who rebuilt it?

What parts were replaced?

Some people think regreasing, changing the side plate and drag washers makes a reel "rebuilt" and "works great" I've bought some that were great, and others that...well.. weren't, and paid pretty pennies for each.

If you're handy enough and can do your own maintenance on a reel, and you're getting what sounds like a pretty good deal, go for it. Otherwise, shop around a little more, maybe spend a bit more, and get yourself a quality product.

The truth be known your post covers many,who are not sure "how to",dont have time,do not have a spare room , hell no your not using my dining room table for your junk.

If you follow the BST forum,rarely will you see/read of one member shafting another with defective gear,and if problems arise the big kauhna's can usally resolve most issues.

There is several members who are Wizards on reel repair,parts and such,these members give willingly How To fix this ,advice ,send small parts for postage fee's.

Determine reel you feel that will fit your needs and look/ask to buy it on BST , I feel sure you will get your money's worth.

If something was broken, and the reel was fixed, most likely the reel is in decent working order.

Many times after normal use, I will rebuild a reel to get it back to tip top order. Was there any thing wrong from the get go? No, I just do pm's on my reels from time to time. And replace parts I know have a tendency to fail over time.

So, there might not have been anything wrong with the reel, but the owner just wanted a perfect working tool.smile.gif

Personal priority is to put a lot of thought into what make & model of reel to get. I only have a few reels ( wife would not agree with thisbiggrin.gif ) , use them a lot and put my trust in proven quality makes that last me for many many years. (I know you didnt ask this, but for me this is the really important part.)

But then, as long as I was dealing with someone straight, product was descibed in detail and could get my money back if the product was not as described on arrival, then I would not hesitate to buy a rebuilt or second hand reel of any model that I wanted. If it works when it arrives I cant see much chance that its more likely to then go wrong than a new one from the factory.

Anyone who fishes more than a few times a year, especially in salt water, needs to be able to do simple maintenance on their reel, replace bail springs, oil, grease, remove the plate to clean out sand or salt deposits etc etc, or have easy access to someone who offers this service.

Sooner or later something will go wrong on every reel if you use it long and hard enough and dont maintain it. Better reels just last longer, are more reliable and are often easier to work on due to better design and quality of components. But even on new reels things can go wrong.

All the reels I use are assembled from mass produced components, so if a part is broken, just get it replaced. On a good quality reel the parts most likely to fail are not that expensive anyway.

Thats my $0.02 - Lurch

Personally, it depends on who rebuilt it. If it's a reputable craftsman, like Alan Tani or Jerry Foran, I would not worry one bit. For my own uses, a "beat up" reel of good make (ie Penn SS 5500) that needs a couple of parts replaced is fine, as long as the price is right. Some of the other off the wall reels, I'm not so sure. Also, many Abus use the same parts, so even if I don't buy a rebuilt reel, I can still rebuild/repair most of the Abus in my collection.