Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stresst

Brake Issues

20 posts in this topic

Ok I think I inquired about this awhile back but dont remember the outcome. I have a 2000 Escalade which I have intermitent brake issues. Years ago when it was driven by my folks every year or so it needed front brakes mind you no more then 5k a year. Awhile back I had brakes instaled by a local guy front pads and rotors and about 10 months later they we squeeling, went back but mechanic was gone. So I had them done at pep boys, three months later same thing went back and they swapped everything out for free. give or take 3,4 months same thing, went back and was told I needed to upgrade to ceramic pads and upgraded rotors I paid like 100 bucks and was back in business, guess what same thing several months later. I went back and was told to bring it to the dealer and bring them the receipt. Had the dealer instal brakes w/ 12 month warranty. I belive it was like 13 months later and the brakes were gone. At that time I was out of work money was tight so I had RS Strauss do them, I cannot recall when that was but not that long ago maybe 18 months give or take 6 months. Guess what my brakes are begining to squeel. Mind you this has all happened within no more then 20k. I had to spend 3000.oo on front brakes alone since I have owned this truck. What the heck is going on????

And being I have to have brakes installed tomorrow morning where do I go? I was thinking of buying some hitech pads and rotors but need them by 8 am tomorrow,

PLEASE HELPheadscratch.gifredface.gif

Do they just squeak or are they actually worn out? Is one side worn more than the other?? How are the rear brakes wearing? What year and GVW Escalade? Disc/disc or disc drum system?

View PostDo they just squeak or are they actually worn out? Is one side worn more than the other?? How are the rear brakes wearing? What year and GVW Escalade? Disc/disc or disc drum system?

You gotta answer these questions before we can give ya our opinion.

If they squeak is one thing and that may be to a glaze building on the rotors or loose pads. If they are squealing because the pad indicator is touching the rotor then they are wearing out prematurely, and requires further in depth investigation.

A lot of times what happens, and I'm not saying that is is the case here, is people increase the wheel size without beefing up the brake system.

Are you using stock wheels?

Lots of factors cause squeal. Low quality pads, wrong type of pad, glazing, installation precedure, and the operator. I've seen drivers who coould wear through a set of pads in 5k miles and some who get 75k.

Steam clean the caliper,rotors,brakes.Many times the dust buildup causes wear issues and is notorious for making noises.I've heard nothing but good about Wagner Thermoquiet brakes for resolving issues like the ones explained here.Squealing and squeaking doesn't always mean you need brakes.I've seen alot of rear drum brakes that never get adjusted so they don't work causing rapid front wear.When you press the pedal does the first push feel smushy and the second nice and firm.Usually a good sign that the rears aren't working right or need an adjustment if they are drums.There's a number of factors at play with brakes.

2000 and up don't have self adjusting rear brakes, I'm told. You have to engage the parking brake 3 times to adjust them. Engage your e brake on a hill and see if it holds. If not do the adjustment. This should keep down your front wear.smile.gif

2000 Escalade front disc, drum rear. I got throu about 5 sets of front brakes before 1 set of rears. I just came back, the front were shot so low about 10% of the actual pad disenegrated, rotors were fine so he cut them, rears were fine. I am shocked I got 11K out of these brakes.clapping.gifclapping.gif If I can get 11k out of them all I would be happy.heart.gif

11k is still pretty bad.I'm sticking with your rears aren't adjusting.They look good because they don't work most likely.Did you let the mechanic know the history of your front brakes being eaten at an alarming rate ?

try looking up heavy duty pads for it, as of now im using a higher grade semi-metalic pad and am getting more life outa them, 1-2 times a year vs 3-4. try looking up summit racing on the web and mabe there will be a set for that truck

View PostYou have a sticking front calipers. They are holding the pads engauged just a little.

I will look into that.

Also do you drive using your left foot on the brake pedal?

No but I dont drive slow, which im sure that has something to do with it but something is just not rite.headscratch.gif

Just had an issue with brake pads wearing excessively. There is stop light switch under the dash which controls the power booster on the master cylinder, there is an adjustment that if its not set right the brakes don't lock up, but they do drag. Worth a look, particularly because your problem has been chronic.

After reading this entire thread again, I realized something....... Sometimes when I start from a red light I hear a weird noise, almost like one of the pads are sticking. I cannot really describe the sound but it seems like it is comming from the rear.headscratch.gifheadscratch.gif