Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
scunge

Before spend the money

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if I can re spool with Power Pro or Samurai 20# test on my I believe it a Penn Slammer 560.I'm fishing with a ten foot Lami 3 peice factory made Beachmaster anyway I'm using Fireline (It's spins on the spool....NO backing?????) I'm not getting distance . Also are 3oz lures too heavy? Thanks

First off if the line is spinning it was probably put on to loose.It must be spooled on tight especially at the start of re spooling. Power pro. 20 should be fine but if you go samurai ( which is the absolute best!) imho i would go 30 as it is very thin and the slight added dist. you might pickup would be outweighed by wind knots??? cwm15.gif

Take the line off and put carpet tape around the spool one time and put the line back on.You can put 20 pound line on a 560 no problem.I use 10 and 14 pound fireline with my 560 with no knot problems and it works great.Fireline in that poundage test close to 3 times its rating so i can get away with using it and its proven more than strong enough ,easily handling big rays ,redfish etc... without a hitch.I need maximum casting distance thats why i fish line that light.I would not fish samurai braid or suffix performance braid in those lighter classes because they break much closer to their stated rating.If you fish those lines your best bet would be to stay at 20 or above.Legions of surf fisherman have caught every surf fish imaginable for years and years on 17 pound mono,to use braid that test 40 or 50 pounds but actually breaks at closer to 60 or 70 pounds is totally unnecessary IMO.You will get better distance and presentation using lighter lines,if you need more abrasion resistance you can fish heavier.Like i said, i have not had a fish yet that was able to break 10 pound fireline and i am talking about bull redfish over 25 lbs and very powerful rays(actual breaking strength 28 pounds on average)whenever i lost one it broke at the leader.FWIW 20 and 30 pound fireline break at nearly the same pound test 54.5 pounds on average.