Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gray gables

Blew my tranny

17 posts in this topic

I think I lost my tranny today in my 07 chevy 1/2 ton 4x4, it was skipping shift modes, checked the tranny level it was done almost a quart, added almost 2 quarts to itcwm31.gif brought it up to a reasonable level, left for home didn't make it, truck was smokin for almost the whole way,pulled into a parking lot and called the dealer, it's still under warrantyhighfive.gif , will let every one how I make out, seriously thinking of making the switch back to a 3/4 ton, I pull a 7x16 enclosed trailer loaded with tools,headscratch.gif

thank the big guy it's still under warrenty . thats great. if it's going to happen thats the way to happen . i did mine at exactly 100,000 it hurt a little good luck i hope all goes well for you. take care Bob

That sucks Matt.How many miles are on the truck?By skipping,do you mean slipping bad?Did it have a leak or was the smoke coming from something burning?Anyway ,be thankful you are still under warranty.I have an 03 Z-71.And although I only have 25k on it.It makes me worry some.Good luck ,Mark

After the repair I would install an inline filter ( a $15 Magnefine from "E" bay works great) & the biggest tranny cooler ( I like B&M coolers) I could find, Both installed on the tranny fluid return line that comes from the radiator.

Cool clean fluid will make your tranny hold up much better.

View Postif you use a truck for work a 2500 really is a better choice, although if you stayed with a chevy it would probably have the same tranny.

The 2500 has the 4L80E transmission where as the 1500 has the 4L60E. The 4L60E has a proven track record and the 4L80E is a really tough transmission that a lot of people put in cars for high horsepower applications.

blew my tranny in a civic 2 winters ago...

all friction clutchs (8 of them) didnt have ANYTHING left on them

and 1st gear was grinded out

DONT DO NEUTRAL DROPS IN A AUTOMATIC beatin.gif

1600$ later back to new

View Postblew my tranny in a civic 2 winters ago...

all friction clutchs (8 of them) didnt have ANYTHING left on them

and 1st gear was grinded out

DONT DO NEUTRAL DROPS IN A AUTOMATIC beatin.gif

1600$ later back to new

It's o.k to do neutral drops!.........just do them in someone elses car!cwm40.gifwink.gifbiggrin.gif