Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Reaux

MV East Beach Jetties - History????

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

This is very vexing. Usually I can find what I want on the 'inter web' but I can't find a thing on the history of the east beach jetties on Martha's Vineyard. Before I turn to the Martha's Vineyard Historical Society @ $25.00 per hour for research on this matter I thought I'd ask the sages on this forum if they have any information on the history of these jetties, or helpful pointers for web searches.

I'd like to know when they were constructed.

Why they were constructed.

How long did they remain open.

Why, you ask? Well, last weekend's rain resulted in a little flooding in our basement archives. Nothing major destroyed, but after I turned on the dehumidifier I spent a little time checking old photo albums. And there was a picture of my grandfather, a Vineyard native, in his cat boat circa 1920's - 1930's. Family oral history has it that he used to sail his cat boat from Oak Bluffs to the east beach jetties to fish. I well remember the tarred hand lines hanging in his basement so he was, in my opinion, probably angling for scup and or sea bass. Sadly he suffered a stroke in my formative years and never could tell me about it himself.

Thanks if you can help me on this sudden, rather quixotic, quest of mine.

I'll get to the bottom of this, though, I suspect, it's going to take some effort.

Oh and one last question. Did the jetties cause the formation of Arruda point or was it there all along.

And more thanks for tolerating my question and musing,

Reaux

View PostI can't remember your answers , I am sure I was told

please post if you find out , just so I can forget again cwm40.gif

VB

Thanks for your answer to my query.

I have no answers only questions.

When were the east beach jetties built?

Why?

When did they close?

You live on the Vineyard, right? You must have driven over the rocks on the approach to the east beach jetties, correct? Have you no sense of wonder? You're not the least bit curious about what you see around you?

Reaux

$25/hr. for research? beatin.gif

I'm a member of the Jamaica Plain Historical Society, and when a question comes in that's not answered on our web site, it gets emailed around to the most active members. I've spent hours searching through online archives and resources to help people. I need to get in on this scam. biggrin.gif

View Post$25/hr. for research? beatin.gif

I'm a member of the Jamaica Plain Historical Society, and when a question comes in that's not answered on our web site, it gets emailed around to the most active members. I've spent hours searching through online archives and resources to help people. I need to get in on this scam. biggrin.gif

JonFrum,

To the Martha's Vineyard Museum's credit they will provide ###readily available### information free of charge. My preliminary research shows such a paucity of data on the area of my interest that I suspect that I will, or my search will, fall into the non readily available realm which is subject to their $25.00 per hour fee. See below:

Off-Site Research and Reference

Our staff is also equipped to conduct research for and answer reference queries from long-distance patrons. Reference assistance is available through email, mail, and phone. Ready reference is available at no cost. However, due to constraints of time and resources, the MVM does charge $25 an hour for more extensive research and reference queries conducted at the Huntington Library/Archives. Members of the MVM receive their first hour of research free of charge. Direct all research and reference queries by email to EMail adress deleted by Reaux or by phone at Phone deleted by Reaux. Please include your full name, phone number, email address, and mailing address when contacting the MVM reference desk. It is important the MVM receive this information so as to expedite your research request.

Obviously a for profit Museum . . . not that there is anything wrong with that. I'll just have to figure out how much it is intellectually worth it to me to find out.

Thanks,

Reaux

View Postcall coops B&T in Edgartown, I am sure he will not charge biggrin.gif

And may know the answers

vineyardblues,

Thanks for the suggestion about Coop Haven't seen in some years now, I'll give him a call. In the meantime I have considerable resources right in Cambridge. Harvard has a vast library complex, and since, though retired, I have library access to all their libraries I think I'll start there.

BTW check your PM's

Reaux

View PostI'm puzzled by the question when did they "close". I guess a jetty opens when its finished but does one ever close?

They've been pretty much dismantled by the forces of nature--not "closed" per se.

View PostI'm puzzled by the question when did they "close". I guess a jetty opens when its finished but does one ever close?

View PostThey've been pretty much dismantled by the forces of nature--not "closed" per se.

Ditch Jigger pretty much is spot on. I suspect that the jetties on east beach were poorly constructed (the opening was very narrow) and equally poorly situated in regard to current and sediment transport.

I would be glad to show you a picture - but alas I can't figure out how to get a google earth image from there to here. If you have goggle earth go to:

41degrees 24' 14.99" N 70 degrees 26' 49.92" W and you can see what remains of the jetties.

Reaux

Back in the 80-90's the guys who patroled for the Trustees of Reservations (overseers for East Beach) knew some history of them. Of course my mind is complete jello and the info is gone with the tide. I'm sure the Trustees office could get you hooked up with someone in the know. The one tidbit I seem to have left is that they were privately built by some of the homeowners whose houses were long ago wiped out - e.g. "The Chimneys."

View PostBack in the 80-90's the guys who patroled for the Trustees of Reservations (overseers for East Beach) knew some history of them. Of course my mind is complete jello and the info is gone with the tide. I'm sure the Trustees office could get you hooked up with someone in the know. The one tidbit I seem to have left is that they were privately built by some of the homeowners whose houses are long ago wiped out.

Bob Fountain?

Reaux

I don't recall Bob. I was introduced to Paul Schultz in '88 or '89 by a mutual friend. Paul knew nothing about me other than a friend had asked him to show me around the island. Boy, did he! Upon meeting, Paul ordered me into his Toyota pickup next to his yellow lab and proceeded to take me fishing the whole week I was on island. Up and down East Beach like I was one of his secret clan, then out in a friend's boat into the most gigantic school of albies I've still ever seen. That was before he was working for the Trustees but just the beginning of seeing him nearly every year until 2005 - I haven't been back to the island since then, though I miss it and Paul dearly.

That first week was quite eventful. I got my first albie on a fly, then my first albie on a fly from shore, and a monster 15lbish bluefish down at Wasque on a 7' medium/heavy freshwater bass rod lined with 12lb test. Paul warned me I was under gunned and so did the dozen or so griping fishermen I had to duck under or around to follow my tanker blue around the corner. Paul showed me the Gut, Drunkard's Cove, and secret spots I won't reveal. One early morning when we were out on East Beach with Paul's friend Dick casting to some albies, Dick decided to try flycasting. He wasn't very experienced and had a huge swooping loop behind him. Well, a Trustees truck pulls up and Dave (I think) gets out to talk with Paul and wanders too close to Dick who proceeds to roll back a deceiver that whipcracks right into Dave's bottom lip! At first Dick didn't know what had happened and kept tugging on the fly like he may have been stuck a piece of seaweed!

Dave insisted that I use my heavy cutting pliers to snap off the front of the fly - and that SNAP as the pliers went through the metal must have hurt! Dave drove off to the hospital, but we saw him not long after with a small bandage on his lip. That was after we hammered the albies off the sand. What a day! We also caught some blues from the afore mentioned jetties later on, they were still in decent shape at that time.

The day before I left that first week, Paul told me to be ready around 5pm, we were going to "Jackie O's" place. Paul, me and his friend Bill, met at a locked gate on a non-descript strecth of island road. Things were very different back then I guess because as we bumped down the sand road behind the gate I came to realize this was Jack Onassis' place. The real Jackie O, as in former first lady Kennedy! We caught a few bass but what I really remember was how beautiful a night it was looking west off the shore south of Gay Head along a stunning smooth sand beach. No sign of the goddess however.

Later on when we went to the island regularly, we'd always buy the beach pass and so see plenty of Paul to get the latest news since by then he was out on the beach most every day for the Trustees. He'd regale us with the latest tale of woeful fishermen he'd have hauled around in the Trustees pickup the day before, or recount the most recent giant bass he had helped someone catch. I can't remember if it was Paul or some of the younger summer help that told me about the jetties.

Anyway, I miss Paul, if any of you know him please say hello for me.

Dave O From NH