Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BobInNH

I got growled at

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

So I need to understand why using a gps unit on an commercial airliner is prohibited

Flying back from Seattle Washington thought I'd see where we were over the US. Stewardess see's me holding up to the window to get satellite lock comes back and tells me I can't use it. beatin.gifbeatin.gifbeatin.gif

Far as I know all it does it link up to available satellite signal or did she truly avert an in air accident by having me deenergize the gps? icon24.gif

It's not an electronics thing, it's a security thing, I think. I'm thinking they don't want you to know down to the foot where you are in relation to a possible target. Like, maybe you're watching the GPS trying to figure out when is the best time to take over the plane?

View PostNo electronics means no electronics. rolleyes.gif

She should have tased you. icon14.gif

if she observed the no electronics rule, she would have used a tube socks full of coins and C batteries.

They say that receiving a signal could cause interference with the plane's electrical systems. That is total B.S. Any signal that is out there to be received by a GPS, a phone, or whatever else will still be there and allegedly cause interference whether you turn your little device on or not.

In college, (I studied electrical engineering) we asked our senior wireless communications professor if anything would happen to the plane if we used a phone. He pointed out that the people on the flights during 9/11 used their phones and it didn't cause the planes any damage before they were crashed. That made us think.

Turns out that as you travel around at 400-600 mph, and your phone is on, all of the ground based stations have to keep handing off responsibility for your phone to the next one in the direction you are going. That means they really do a lot of work to keep up and transferring you between base stations. Phone companies didn't like that because it cost them efficiency (read that "money") so they lobbied the FAA to make sure people turn their phones off for "safety" reasons.

If you leave your phone on during a flight, you'll see that the battery will be nearly drained (depending on how long you were in the air) when you get off. That's because your phone spent the flight connecting back and forth between all the base stations you flew over on the ground. You'll also notice, you didn't crash.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=ngz...page&q&f=false

Read paragraphs 7, 12, and 13.

My reply in the Quick Travel Question thread from last week:

The current highest speed recorded on my handheld GPS is over 580 MPH. wink.gif

I don't recall off hand exactly what it is but thought it was over 600 MPH. I'll check it tonight.

I propped my handheld GPS in the window shade to and from Sweden. On the flight home (Stockholm to Newark) our flight path brought us in over Canada and was within 1 mile from our summer camp in northern Vermont. I marked an inflight waypoint as close to camp as I could. The telemetry between my GPS and what the plane indicated were within a few feet and MPH.

Both flights made it to and from their destinations regardless of the GPS running during flight.

View PostThey say that receiving a signal could cause interference with the plane's electrical systems. That is total B.S. Any signal that is out there to be received by a GPS, a phone, or whatever else will still be there and allegedly cause interference whether you turn your little device on or not.

In college, (I studied electrical engineering) we asked our senior wireless communications professor if anything would happen to the plane if we used a phone. He pointed out that the people on the flights during 9/11 used their phones and it didn't cause the planes any damage before they were crashed. That made us think.

Turns out that as you travel around at 400-600 mph, and your phone is on, all of the ground based stations have to keep handing off responsibility for your phone to the next one in the direction you are going. That means they really do a lot of work to keep up and transferring you between base stations. Phone companies didn't like that because it cost them efficiency (read that "money") so they lobbied the FAA to make sure people turn their phones off for "safety" reasons.

If you leave your phone on during a flight, you'll see that the battery will be nearly drained (depending on how long you were in the air) when you get off. That's because your phone spent the flight connecting back and forth between all the base stations you flew over on the ground. You'll also notice, you didn't crash.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=ngz...page&q&f=false

Read paragraphs 7, 12, and 13.

It has nothing to do with electronic engineering, or anything they taught you in college.

It has to do with what medic said, the hijackers on 9-11 may or may not have used GPS devices to know the appropriate time to take over the aircraft. Me being highly sensitive to such things might freak out and knock somebody the **** out, and then stomp their ****ing guts out if I see them holding a gps device to the window. But I try not to fly, so dont worry bout me, but there are others who feel the same out there.

As far as the elctronic signal thing, why would you want to test something like that out just to see if your theories are correct?cwm31.gifkooky.gif

View PostWhen I meet Kamel he's getting hit with a tube sock and a roll of quarters.

For past transgressions.

Hit 'em once for me - for possible future transgressions...I mean, since you got the quarters and tube sock anyway smile.gif

TimS

View PostNo electronics means no electronics. rolleyes.gif

She should have tased you. icon14.gif

They don't say no electronics, they say no devices which send electronic signals (per the JetBlue briefing). Game boys and the like are allowed (I am assuming this based on no tasing espisodes of the numerous youngsters playing on their gb's nor business types using laptops to play solitaire) plus they announced it was okay to use approved electronics cwm27.gif . Thus I thought that since a gps doesn't send signals, just recieves same from satellites, I would not be interferring with any flight controls or comms

My gps did record a speed of 596, just before I de-energized it tongue.gif

Although I'm not a small guy, read overweight aged male, she would not have needed to tase me as she was on the rubenesque side of most female flight attendents cwm31.gif