AndrewVT

Loop knot in darcon backing

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

View PostBimini the way to go

View Post^ What he says.....

l

View PostBimini gets my vote also.

I agree with these guys. If you want to do a loop to loop connection then go with the bimini

How many twists do you use when tying the bimini in dacron? Also, is it possible to do a spliced end loop like you would do with hollow braid to create a loop for a topshot? Seems like the splice would be the best choice for a smooth flow through the guides, but I didn't know if the inside diameter is too small to do a splice.

I use a nail knot in 2'-3' of 30# dacron to the fly line and then a Bimini in the dacron to the dacron backing. I like (small profile) loop-to-loop when I want to change fly lines. Also - I don't like the way a high profile loop or large knot goes through the guides with a hot fish on.

Herb

Andrew,

You can do a blind splice with 30 lb micron. I have found it easier to use fine leader wire bent sharpely in half than the tool that guidbrode or cortland makes. It is a little harder to get it into the center of the micron than the little tool, but it does not pop out of the middle nearly so easy, and if it does, it's easiter to get back in and on the right track again.

The doubled wire needs to be probably 20" long after being bent so there will be room to pass the whole reel through it (the middle of the bent wire) to make the loop.

The splices are so small and micron so thin, I've been making three blind splices in order to have two loops in the backing to double the surface area of the backing and eliminate the possibliity of it cutting through the fly line loop. Probably not necessary, but it doesn't take that long.

Cheers,

Jim

----the Surgeon's Knot and the Spider Hitch. A Surgeon's Knot with 4 or 5 passes is identical to the Spider Hitch. The way you tie them is the only difference. I find it easier to control a multi-pass Surgeon's Knot than the Spider Hitch.

That being said, I use the Surgeon's Knot with about 5 passes for the braid. To give me more cushioning in the loop to loop, I make 3 passes through the loop. BTW, this is even more essential when using the clear fly lines due to the softness of the material.

004-5.jpg