Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rosbertos

Shock leader question....

Rate this topic

130 posts in this topic

I am wanting to switch to 30lb Fireline on my baitrunner...I usually use 65lb PowerPro without a shock leader because my knots tend to catch in the guides. Can I get away without using a shock leader with the Fireline? What is the approx. breaking strenght of the 30lb (not Fireline braid)?

View PostI am wanting to switch to 30lb Fireline on my baitrunner...I usually use 65lb PowerPro without a shock leader because my knots tend to catch in the guides. Can I get away without using a shock leader with the Fireline? What is the approx. breaking strenght of the 30lb (not Fireline braid)?

It is rarely a good idea to use a shock leader or any leader long enough to have the knot pas through any of the guides on a spinning set-up. I would never do it throwing what I throw...plugs, jigs and occasionally 3-4oz and bait. I use Fireline 30lb mostly.

View PostIt is rarely a good idea to use a shock leader or any leader long enough to have the knot pas through any of the guides on a spinning set-up. I would never do it throwing what I throw...plugs, jigs and occasionally 3-4oz and bait. I use Fireline 30lb mostly.

I beleive your not correct about your shock leader answer. When you use a pendulum cast with an 11-15 ft. rod your shock leader should go down the length of the rod twice and around the reel 3 times. This is how you get the proper length for your leader. This is for casting 4-7 oz. lead and bait. If you don't use a shock leader your lead will come off sideways, down the beach at approx. 100 mph. It has happened to me. The knots you tie aren't large bulky knots!!cwm31.gif

View PostI beleive your not correct about your shock leader answer. When you use a pendulum cast with an 11-15 ft. rod your shock leader should go down the length of the rod twice and around the reel 3 times...

Bobby, I believe you misunderstood him, he is not suggesting that a shock leader be so short that it doesn't wrap around the spool - he's suggesting that using a shock leader on spinning gear to begin with isn't such a great idea.

I share these sentiments - the inherent problems associated with casting very heavy payloads using shock leaders (finger protection, drag slips, tangles, knot degradation) with spinning gear make it, at best, a sketchy undertaking - perhaps appropriate for a few very specific niche scenarios, but for most people in most places using conventional gear makes a whole hell of a lot more sense.

i like to use a shock lead of sort on my spinning setup.. not for the same reasons as using a conventional w/ 8nbait though. I use 50# PP braid, and after a few trips fishing around the rocks at Montauk the first few yards of line tend to get nicked and or fray a little and i like to strip some off. So i put on about a 15ft shock leader.. this way i can just cut it off and replace it every few trips to keep the part of my line that takes the most wear fresh.. if i didn't do this i would be stripping line off my spool every few trips and before you know it you would need to replace your line becuase your spool is only half full.. this way.. i always have 300 yards of line on my setup.

In that case, as long as you're using tape or a glove for your casting finger, you shouldn't need a shock leader with 30# Fireline - just a standard bite leader that stays outside the guides like you've been using should be fine.

When fishing my Spinning reel I normally use 30lb Jerry Brown Braid. I will tie a 3-4' piece of Mono ( bite Leader ) attached with a barrel swivel with a Palamor Knot ( Braid to Mono ) & a clinch knot attaching the mono on the other end. & a clip to the plug.

By using only braid if you catch a decent size fish of any weight you don't want to be grabbing on to braided line. It will slice you up real quick!

If I'm throwing anything 4oz's or over I'll fish my conventional with a longer leader wrapping 3 or 4 times around the spool attached with a double uni or a Alberto knot

View PostBobby, I believe you misunderstood him, he is not suggesting that a shock leader be so short that it doesn't wrap around the spool - he's suggesting that using a shock leader on spinning gear to begin with isn't such a great idea.

I share these sentiments - the inherent problems associated with casting very heavy payloads using shock leaders (finger protection, drag slips, tangles, knot degradation) with spinning gear make it, at best, a sketchy undertaking - perhaps appropriate for a few very specific niche scenarios, but for most people in most places using conventional gear makes a whole hell of a lot more sense.

Yup...biggrin.gif

You can continue what you are doing with the Fireline because you are following the rule of 10lbs test per ounce of bait. For the sfaety of everyone else on the beach, please check your line periodically.

View PostI use an albright knot when attaching a mono shock leader to braid. I've never had a problem with the knot catching on the guides when casting.

Blood knot will work as well.

Just make sure you clip your tag close enough to not be in the way but not into the knot.

I stopped using swivels and clips almost entirely this season. I stopped using swivels because I found I was doing more snapcasts than pendulum casting. I'd stopped using clips when I was fishing bucktails and slug-go's and found that I got a better feel for what was going on at the end of my line without them.

My background was from fly fishing so the notion of tying in adverse conditions wasn't foreign at all.

This is the sytem I have been using since at Least 2005:

Shock Leaders: Length of rod, at least 4 turns around the spool

Spinning:

With Braid - main line is 30lb for plugging, 50 lb for casting up to 6 and Bait, either Power Pro or Suffix,- I use a a "Shock Leader Length" of 65 lb Power Pro - dosen't act like a mono leader, in that it doesn't stretch during the cast, but still takes a higher impulse load than just the braid. Knot is uni-uni

With Mono - main line is 14 lb for plugging, either Big Game, Stren Magna-Thin or Suffix Siege - Plugs up to 2 3/4 Oz, 20 lb Suffix Siege for up to 8 and Bait - Shock Leader is 30lb flourocarbon for 5 inch Redfins, and similar sized plugs (easy to grab), 40 lb clear Big Game for plugs up to 2 3/4 oz, and 50 lb clear Big Game for anything heavier and all Bait slinging. Knot is a "Slim Beauty", with a figure-8 knot in the mono.

Conventional:

With Braid - 30lb Suffix for plugging, 50 lb Power Pro for bait - I use a 40lb clear Big Game Mono Shock Leader for plugging, 50lb clear Big Game Mono Shock Leader for Bait. Knot is a "Crazy Alberto", which, I find, even on my level wind ABU 6501C3 and Record 61HC, does not catch on the eye. However, I do find the need to retie on the level wind reels as the "lock knot" gets beat up and opens up after several hours of casting. On my non-level wind conventionls, this is not a problem.

With Mono - non-level wind reel only, 14 lb for plugging and up to 6 and Bait, 20 lb for 8 and Bait or Higher up to 16 oz total, Suffix Siege exclusively, since it comes in Neon Tangerine, which I can see at night to level- Shock Leader is 40lb clear Big Game Mono Shock Leader for plugging, 50lb clear Big Game Mono Shock Leader for Bait. Knot is a "Slim Beauty", with a figure-8 knot in the mono.

I have tried using a Mono Shock Leader when throwing Braid on a Spinner. I didn't find that the knot itself caught on the Stripper Guide, but that the section where the braid was joined to the mono would tend to wrap the braid around the stripper guide on the side of the guide ring. This didn't happen on every cast, but was definately more of a problem when casting less aerodynamic payloads, such as wooden swimmers. My theory was that the more coiled mono was causing the limper braid to whip around as it left the reel, so the wrapping on the guide was a random occurrence of the end of the mono loop being in exactly the right spot to catch the side of the guide with the braid. Either way, I got tired of this after losing the first plug, and went back to the 65lb Braid "Shock Leader".

Finally, Bite Leaders:

For Plugging, I use the longest bite leader I can cast with a given rod, whether or not I have a dropper loop for a teaser, which I always locate within 3 inches of the swivel that attaches to the shock leader. This roughly equates to the following: 7-8 ft rods - 3 ft leader, 9-10 ft rods - 4 ft leader, 11-14 ft rods - 5 ft leader. The material is alway floro, and the test is 30lb for 5 inch plugs, 40lb for lures up to 2 3/4 oz, and 50 lb for any heavier lures. The theories in play here are Stipers are hardware shy, too heavy a leader kills a plugs action by dragging down the front, and, if I'm plugging Braid on a spinner, at 4 ft plus, I have enough bite leader length to grab and land the fish.

For Bait, my primary outfit is a fishfinder consisting of a "sinker slide" length of 5 ft consisting of 50lb test leader material (more abraision resistant than equivalent test mono main line) and an 80 lb test bite leader of no more than 4 inches in length, with a Gama Circle Hook. Sinker slide section uses beads inside the swivel and snap ends, and the Heavy Duty Blue Fish Finders from Hatteras, now available in a lot of the NJ B&T's. Once again, I now have the benefit of grabing mono, even if using braid. As for the short bite leader, I have not found it to put of Bass (perhaps meat trumps hardware shyness?) and I have virtually eliminated helicoptering on the cast.