Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
castnet

Beach access survey - AI VA

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I saw that the town of Chincoteague was advertising a survey they are sponsoring in regards to beach access & parking lot use at AI VA and thought I'd pass it along to anybody interested. The refuge is in the process of deciding between 4 alternatives addressing the parking situation at the public beach. After the nor'easters last fall the whole parking lot had to be rebuilt. An Alternative Transportation Study can be read on the Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge website that details the proposed plans.

One option the refuge has proposed is having no public beach parking at all and rather shuttling people from a central location on Chincoteague to the beach. Ridiculous in my opinion. Next thing to fall would be the use of OSV's out there for fishing.

Anyway, not sure if I am alllowed to post this link, but : http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/beachaccessquestionnaire should take you to the survey. It only takes a minute. Hopefully the town can use the results to help block the shuttle idea.

Filled it out with comments about less restrictive ORV, but not surprised that no questions in that regard...I may be wrong but the impression I got is that the VA side really does not put much account into the surf fishing or ORV community. I was told by the rangers out there that ORV is closed through the end of september due to nesting birds. What birds will be nesting through september I have no idea. The accessible public beach was more crowded than OC. Took me exactly 30 seconds to realize that my vacation was going to be spent on MD/AI and Chincoteague was a nice place to sleep/eat.

^^^ The OSV zone on the VA side always has partially closings between mid-March and Septmeber and usually sees full closure June through early September for the birds.

If they are able to eliminate public parking access at the beach and introduce a shuttle system it seems to me that OSV use out there could be in jeopardy next. Even if OSV use is not in jeopardy then between March and September you'd have to lug all your gear on a shuttle anyway with a bunch of tourist bumping it around just to go fishing out there if the shuttle alternative went through.

"Public transportation to and from Assateague was a favorite theme of those advocating elimination of private auto access"

AI Administrative History..

How many hundreds of thousands of dollars do they take in through vehicle entrance fees every year. Seems as if keeping a stone/shell parking lot in repair is small potatoes for such a cash cow.

Another end around to restrict human access while the money is diverted to other areas.

About like taking what is it???? 6-700 K in through OSV permit fees and failing to build/maintain a well drained access ramp on the MD side. What happens to that money?

plug what happens to the money is you have 10 rangers at AI MD at an average of 50 thousand a yr eats up the orv money ..but pays for them..wheather closeing the ORV would decrease the rangers ..prob not ... with out the beach at AI VA the town would cease to prosper...the camping sites would dry up house rental would decrease ..rent on houses or hotels near the beach would sky rocket ..the towns ppl put up with the closeriers..make there money ..then fish when the ORV is open... no different then AI MD ..when i emailed AI MD ..i recived an email back saying that they where working with the OC ppl aka goverment ..TO inpervise a plan for AI MD > buses < to bring ppl to AI MD from OC ....Your local Goverment at work for you ( HA )> humm how should we charge them an who gets what persentage <<<MONEY<<<<..lets not upset the apple cart .... there where beach closeiers this yr AT AI MD but it seem to be later ...( lets let the fishing human have the beach for awhile ) close it for 9/10s of a mile let the public on the beach AAHHH say 134 vehickgles..happy happy... we can save gas not drive all the way down the beach ..state line back pack is open all primitive camp sites open ...happy happy ... i email goverment ppl alot ..i am a thorn i will fester an spread ..if i lived down there i would have my DOPA << polish ..an i"m not ..on there steps all the time ..WHY WHY WHY ..enough rant for now lunch time .. BTW i took the servey to an added my comments

kooky.gifcwm31.gifbeatin.gifbeers.gifcwm15.gificon24.gif

I took the survey I hope it helps.

I say just leave as is just keep repairing the parking lot like they do every year. I know that I have sat in line at AI/MD and waited up to an hour or more to get on the beach and I have waited up to 35 min to get to the parking lot at AI/VA. I have learned to get there earlier if I don't want to wait in line.beers.gif

I was just on the AI VA side on 7/17 and I just turned around and drove back to IRI. On the early days of the week, one might be able to fish at dawn but not on weekends in summer. I've been coming for over 30 years but it was not to be this year.

A couple of thoughts I put on the survey:

1. Fishing requires equipment which can't be shuttled easily. However, in other areas like DE the "fishing access" is often overrun with surfers, sunbathers, kids, etc. This access should require active fishing and ONLY active fishing.

2. They probably should allow the rental scooters, bikes, etc. to come out even if there are shuttles. Therefore parking will still exist.

3. They will probably have to allow handicapped access vehicles, so more parking.

Therefore what will actually be gained, except to prevent people from leaving for lunch easily? That will clog the beaches with more trapped tourists.

Now I have a question for the locals?

Where will the birds go? The "natural beach" further down the island with more parking room sounds good, but does that area have 0 birds? Will birds just take over the narrow strip where the existing lots are and block ever more access to the water toward the point? Where will the OSV crowd be allowed to go.

And most important -- when will this be active? In April or May and October or November, will a shuttle still make sense?

these are ? that are being asked at the meetings an the comments on the survey..as far as the bids go if your talking about pipeing plover ..they fly south for the winter ..after they leave the usa nobody knows where they go..south of the border ...i heard tell hugo chavez says .... the plover from the US taste just like chicken.. an are very plump..but thats only rumours.

BTW thank you for visting our eastern shore for so long ... i have been going there since 1973 myself ..hope to see you next yr or when you can make it ....watch the NPS web site or email them..for more info on this ..they have 10 days to reply...dang did i get up early to take this pic