Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mann2

seven foot Ugly stick for surf ?

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

I have been looking for a one piece spinning surf rod for under $90,that is capable of handling the weight of bait or larger lures.Ugly stick has four 7 foot spinning models rated for lures of 1-6 ounces in thier "Big Water" and "Custom" series,rated for medium heavy or heavy action and line test of 15-30# or 15-40# .Even if you tighten up that lure rating to 2-5 oz, that's still a rod capable of tossing some weight.However they are not labeled as surf rods or boat rods [though the "Big Water" sounds like a boat rod to me].

I know that conventional wisdom is that 7 feet is very short for a surf rod,but the fact is that several reputable companies carry at least one seven foot spinning rod in their "Surf Rod" lines

[st.Croix,Penn,Tusnami,Daiwa,Tica].

Does anyone have expierience with or thoughts on the suitability of these Ugly sticks for the surf?

Thanks.

My thoughts .. 9ft or 10ft for all round surf use ... the Ugly your talking about is more suited for the boat but if you can only get one stick for everything nothing wrong with a 7ftr My wifes uncle and (grand father RIP) swore by there 7ft Uglysticks and fished the surf from Cape Cod to Hatteras with them. You dont need lenght if they are in close. I caught many a fish on a 6'6 boat stick in the Hudson when i didn't know that much about surf rods and didn't have the money to own more than one rod to begin with. Throw a Penn on that rod and you'll have it for a set up for life.

Any particular reason for a one piece rod ? If not, and your main concern is "under $90, then have a look at the Quantum Mocean surf rods at Cabelas. Good value for the money and within your budget.

With all the new technology in materials today your not going to tell all that much from a 1 piece rod from a 2 piece rod.And the majority of the rods over 8' are 2 piece.

IMO I tend to think a 7' rod is a little to short for fishing the surf. Don't get me wrong it can be done but I feel a longer rod would suit you better. A 7' rod IMO is more used on a boat .I fish a 8' in back bay's & 9 & 10 in the surf.

Not knowing what reel you will be using I really cant say what would be best for your situation.

There are some real nice inexpensive rods out there. ( Tica is a all time favorite of mine.( $99.00 9' 2-6oz ) DBlue make a nice Rod,Tsunami Trophy Series Surf Rods All in your price range.

Again depending on the reel I would go for a longer rod maybe a 9' especially throwing the weight your talking about...........Good Luck Ron

I use a seven foot one piece ugly stick in the surf. I also have a 12 foot two piece. The 12 footer is definitely more purpose built for surf and I like it. However, I probably use the seven footer a little more beacuse it i easier to move around with. The seven footer also goes on boats and works from the jetty. Very versatile and durable. It is two years old and I cast 2-5 oz with it. Had I to do it over, I might consider an 8 footer for my walking stick.

Every time I want to say "go longer" I think of all the times I've caught fish so close to me that the thrashing from the hook-up splashed me.

In the right conditions the fish can and will be that close.

But unfortunately you can't always count on those conditions. If you're going to go out and fish then you need to be prepared for what's there and going on, not for what you want them to be.

Seven feet is just going to put alot of the surf out of reach. For the trouble of 24 inches you've got something that I would say is adequate for most spaces.

I can appreciate the need for thrift, and I can also appreciate the warranty and reputation Ugly Sticks have gotten. However for not much more money you're looking at a rod that will be lighter (allowing you to fish longer with less fatigue) will perform better and will put your cast much deeper into the surf.

for me, it's always all about the waves ... 7' short rods are fine as long as there's little to no surf. when the wave action heats up, and the weather gets windy/nasty, then 9' and up is essential, imho. if i hadda have only one rod, it'd be 9' ... and casting.

i'll add that lots also depends on the type of rod - a 9' two handed casting surf rod will typically have the *working* rod length of an 8' trigger casting rod. it can be an eye opener to match up the reel seats of all yer rods and see what the real working length of each rod is .... cwm13.gif

View PostWith all the new technology in materials today your not going to tell all that much from a 1 piece rod from a 2 piece rod.And the majority of the rods over 8' are 2 piece....

so true ... most of my rods are 4 and 3 piece - if properly built, not much difference to me than any quality 1 piece.

View Postthat is a no. Invest is something you will love to fish with, 9' is a good all around stick. Easy to get around with and versatile.

I agree here, I have bait rods between 8ft-9ft, and never feel under gunned when baitcasting. 7ft would be a little short, and you do need the extra length to get over those breakers. I think going from 7ft to 8ft is not that big a deal, but that extra foot of rod will get you a good chunk of distance. I believe an 8ft or 9ft would be more versatile.

Not a good idea unless you plan on using very small weights and baits. Even then any amount of white wash waves and you're on the sand in a few minutes. If you're looking to finesse fish out of the water and really work the rod--go for it. If you're looking to cast, spike and wait you'll need something longer and less bendy to angle over the wash and cast heavier weights. If you want to cast an A27 or something similar in size and weight, IMHO, a 7' rod like an ugly stik is ideal light tackle for that.

I never fish with anything over 7' and I don't plan on going for anything else. It just requires a little bit of ingenuity when rigging up with bait for bigger fish.

IMHO, a 7 foot rod rather limits your fishing. There are rare days when the surf is flat and it would work, but something longer, 9 foot or greater, would probably serve you better.

I fish with a 13 foot AFAW Surf, a Team Alabama 13 foot and a 11 foot AFAW Estuary rods which suit me for most fishing conditions. When and if the fish are really close, I just make shorter casts.

Some excellent advice in this thread. Heed It! JMHO C2