Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gilbey

So What's Your Weekend Plans - July 17, 18

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I am out of town working all weekend, so no fishing for me. Gotta pay the bills sometimes wink.gif . I'll sneak in a midweek outing instead this coming week which I sorta prefer anyway.

What are your weekend plans?

Good luck and safe fishing to all who venture out this weekend smile.gif .

Alan

It's spring creek fishing for Trout in the early morning for me. There is just to much heat and humidity for anything else.

during the day,

at night may head out and do some kayak fishing in PA lake,

went last weekend till 4am,

Great night,

clear and calm, can see reflection of stars in the water,

too bad cant take pics at night

View PostWhat kinds of fish are you chasing in the dark Terasec?

Alan

1 rod had was trying for catfish,

heard rumors that there were catfish in the lake and nearby rivers, so figure give it a shot,( no luck, will keep trying though, something different)

other rod was mostly going for panfish,

Sometimes i will also go for walleye, just not last weekend.

depending on mood and how eager i am to get something in the freezer

I try not to go for trout and bass as those fish are already heavily fished and dont want to add to it.

View PostI'll be chasing coho off the beach on Puget Sound. Hopefully a chinook will make a rare appearance as well...wink.gif

What kind of rod and fly are you using?

Going to try that in the fall up near Campbell River.

Rick,

I generally use a 9.5' 6 wt on Puget Sound. Our season just opened up and most of the fish right now are resident fish, so a 6 wt works fine. They'll continue to grow as summer goes on plus the ocean fish will start arriving through the straits. At that time I'll use an 8 wt for chums and larger silvers.

For Campbell River, you'll want at least an 8 wt if you're chasing big northern silvers in the fall.

Here on the Puget Sound folks fish a lot of clousers, tube flies, poppers and baitfish patterns. Quite a few guys are now fishing flatwings as well.

You'll want baitfish patterns that imitate herring or sand lance.

Here is a pic of a resident hatchery coho that ended up on the bbq last weekend. It eat a olive over pale pink clouser.

Have fun up on VI, that is a beautiful area up there.

Tying weekend for me - got a two week holiday to Ireland next week so filling up the trays with different flies;

Rays Fly, Flatwings, deep BIG closuers and some pink crazy charlie's smile.gif

Cleaning and prepping gear too - so looking forward to it!

Glad you asked smile.gif

Fishing for our version of Bass - European Sea Bass ... similar feeding patterns, similar techniques, similar baitfish - even looks the same minus the stripes and only grows to 20lbs - 10lbs is a lifetime specimen.

Learnt alot from these boards and Striper publications - been tying surf candies, rays fly's and flatwings in earnest ...!

Nice! Come to think of it I have seen pics of them in an IGFA publication once. Their faces are very similar to our stripers.

Do you use 7-9wt. rods as well?

yuo - the fish are virtually identicle - mainly 8 and 9wts for surf and estuary work ...

Irealdn banned all commercial fishing for bass about 9 yrs ago and with strict minimum take limits and only 2 fish to be taken in 24 hours means the fishery is the best in the world for european seabass - oh and they enforce the rules heavily too smile.gif

Most of our fishign this side of the pond is C+R although Bass do taste great!

Will post up a trip report when I get back for you guys stateside smile.gif

Did a load of surf candy's last night with bug bond - came out really great biggrin.gif