Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ponycarp51

Jigmaster

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

ohh, thats a hard one. i have one with the slotted bars and no wing nut screws and it was estimated to be around 60's. This looks older than that but maybe not.

The reel is shown in 24B manual,which is early 60 manual,had a 500with plastic and 500M with the metal spool didnt say any thing on Red spool ,in collectors thread there is a break down of 500 / 500M//500S time frame for slots in front bar.Just for hell of it in 60 the price of 500M was less than a $20.00 bill

That spool may may be the original Penn spool. Its probably from Accurate or Tiburon who made and still make a lot of aftermarket parts including frames for these older Penns.

Over the years the Jigmaster has come with a range of different spools all supplied by Penn. They are red plastic, red aluminium, chromed brass, stainless steel and black aluminium.

View PostThat spool may may be the original Penn spool. Its probably from Accurate or Tiburon who made and still make a lot of aftermarket parts including frames for these older Penns.

one way to tell if the spool is a penn or other, just open it up and look. it is a jigmaster after all.

Thx for all input. I did some more checking: according to one internet post the 500S (quick take down on left side was only made 2 years - 1981,82. The red alum. spool is referred to as an 'anniversary spool' which would jive with the 50th anniv of the company (1932-1982).

View PostThx for all input. I did some more checking: according to one internet post the 500S (quick take down on left side was only made 2 years - 1981,82. The red alum. spool is referred to as an 'anniversary spool' which would jive with the 50th anniv of the company (1932-1982).

Correct on the years of production, although there were still plenty on retail shelves in 1983.

The "left sideplate take apart" was done so that more of the assembly could be done by machine instead of by hand.

The public HATED it, and 1983 production went back to the right side take apart.

The red aluminum spool was also the first Penn production aluminum spool for the 500, and went to black by 1984.

Interestingly, the original genesis for the Penn aluminum spool was Carl Newell's affinity for the narrow version [501].

Those narrow plastic spools were very prone to "spreading", no matter how much kite string or dacron backing you used.

The fall of 1971 saw an excellent run of 12 to 25 pound bluefin tuna off Redondo Beach, biting only on live anchovies and 10 or 12 pound line, and the 501 was "the" reel.

I recall "blowing" 6 of the 501 plastic spools in 1 day that year.

Ever the resourceful inventor, Mr. Newell built an aluminum 501 spool for himself.

Several people noticed it, and asked if he could make one for them too, and it went from there.

Ah, the pleasure of the Search Function!

I found a 500S today in a antique shop and brought it home. Looks identical to the one in the above photo. I will put up a photo tomorrow, with some other reels that followed me home today.

I love those red aluminum penn spools and the aluminum newell 501 spools. Funny thing about the 500s is that it is considerably lighter than the regular Jigmasters. I always wonder if that's why it was so hated back in the days of heavy everything headscratch.gif