Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NJplugginfool

1st Post... 1st and 2nd Questions...

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Hello SOL! I just wanted to say that this site has been a big help and very entertaining at the same time. The wealth of knowledge that most of the regular posters have on here is amazing!!

I am getting back in to fishing and I am in the process of building my "arsenal". With the help of this site, I purchased my first conventional reel (Abu 6500 Mag Elite) for surf fishing purposes. I LOVE this reel!! I never casted anything smoother and further, with plenty of practice of course, than this reel making my fishing experience more enjoyable. Within my "arsenal" I also have a NIB Fin-Nor Offshore 6500 that I won at a fundraiser. This reel is TANK! With that said, I wanted to know if any one out there have ever surfcasted this reel? I know its supposed to be an "offshore" reel but I was just curious if anyone ever tried. If so, what were the results?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome, all new members should post a joke for us.

To your Fin-Nor

you might be able to cast with it but at almost 32 ozs, you better be strong. try casting with a 3-4 pound set up for 4 or more hours. Youll be tired in no time. You could perhaps put it on a 11 foot rod rated at least 6 ozs and up and bait fish with it.

Good investment in the abu. They make one hell of a reel. My one from the 70s is a horse and still is smooth as butter. What rod are you matching yours with?

View PostWelcome, all new members should post a joke for us.

To your Fin-Nor

you might be able to cast with it but at almost 32 ozs, you better be strong. try casting with a 3-4 pound set up for 4 or more hours. Youll be tired in no time. You could perhaps put it on a 11 foot rod rated at least 6 ozs and up and bait fish with it.

Good investment in the abu. They make one hell of a reel. My one from the 70s is a horse and still is smooth as butter. What rod are you matching yours with?

Great advice on the Fin-Nor! I might actually take that into consideration. It gives me the option of having two lines in the water wink.gif. It also means I get to buy more "toys"! I do work out frequently so casting it might not be too bad but I can see your point on getting tired. Baiting and waiting might not be a bad idea for this set up.

As far as the Abu, I am actually using a lower end that I had before I bought the reel. A Daiwa Sealine Surf Rod 8'... I didn't know any better when I first bought it and I thought the price was right. I drive a sedan and I was trying to save space by getting a shorter rod. I also thought that I was going to match it with a spinner but after doing research on this site, I wanted to see what the whole baitcasting thing was about. This is why I bought the Abu. I guess the next step is to upgrade biggrin.gif. What do you recommend that is in a decent price range?