Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bunkerchunker

Rock bumping 17' boston whaler - mantauk

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Hey,

I've been trying to get into bow fishing from this boat and was wondering how much banging up against the rocks it can take.

Say we float in to a rocky area, maybe scattered some rouge rocks, if the engine is off, even lifted up, how much of a beating can this boat's bottom take?

Assume calm waters, also seperately assume a 1-2ft chop.

I love to get in close, but my friend (its his families boat) might be more weary of them.

Spend the cash for your own boat, see how fast you are to intentionally let it bounce off rocks. I'm assuming you wouldn't be thrilled by the idea, just like your friends father won't be.

not going to take much rock bumping at all. those hulls are paper thin. the only thing that makes them rigid is all the foam inside. not really a good idea to be bumping rocks in any boat. I think you should look into some ropalene hulls. they are supposedly indestructable

Agree with freebie, VERY thin hulls, will punctyre on a rough rock with one single whack. Don't get that close. Want to get close, get a welded tin boat of your own. Might ding, but won't fracture like fiberglass will.

View PostLearn to cast, it's cheaper.

haha thanks billybob, i'll have to look into that. Currently i wear a glove and let out 50 feet of line and just football toss my plug into the water...

oh google says its not that hard, i'll have to buy a 101 video....

Anyway

Sounds like a no-no, thanks for the input.....sometimes spots look sodrool.gif but hard to get to.

I +1 the kayak idea....

I have taken my 17' mako into boulder fields in calm-ish conditions..a bump here or there on the drift wont hurt a thing. I certainly wouldn't do the same in any chop/wavy conditions. Of course she is a 1980, when they glassed them up like they were going into battle...they don't make them like they used to.

View PostI have taken my 17' mako into boulder fields in calm-ish conditions..a bump here or there on the drift wont hurt a thing. I certainly wouldn't do the same in any chop/wavy conditions. Of course she is a 1980, when they glassed them up like they were going into battle...they don't make them like they used to.

This is my first full season with a 1976 17 footer....heart.gif her. NO bouncing off rocks for me thanks.