Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishy

green head flies

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Green heads, Jet ski's, and kite surfers

Fishing in the summers like walking trough a mine field , only your not safe even if you stand still.

Bzzzzzz

Some people have had some success with deet, listerine, and lemon eucalyptus oil (Brand name Repel)... Nothing works 100%

From some old research I did a while back:

The bite from a larger specimen can be singularly painful, especially considering the light, agile, and airborne nature of the fly. Unlike insects which surreptitiously puncture the skin with needle-like organs, greenhead flies have mandibles like tiny serrated scimitars which they use to rip and/or slice flesh apart. This causes the blood to seep out as the fly licks it up. They may even carve a chunk completely out of the victim, to be digested at its leisure.

Nice!!!

TL0ZOL0ZDLMZKHQZHH0R9L0RELKZHH6RFZSRCZRZ

View PostSome people have had some success with deet, listerine, and lemon eucalyptus oil (Brand name Repel)... Nothing works 100%

The bite from a larger specimen can be singularly painful, especially considering the light, agile, and airborne nature of the fly. Unlike insects which surreptitiously puncture the skin with needle-like organs, greenhead flies have mandibles like tiny serrated scimitars which they use to rip and/or slice flesh apart. This causes the blood to seep out as the fly licks it up. They may even carve a chunk completely out of the victim, to be digested at its leisure.

Nice!!!

Yup...Those were the eyes I was staring into, as the fly was on my shirt. I was slowly reeling in a bucktail, while watching those mandibles dig into the cotton.

cwm31.gifcwm31.gifcwm31.gifcwm31.gif Those on my legs went to town, and I was scarred for 10 days!!!!

Was down in Beach Haven 2 weeks ago for vacation and some kind of flies tore us up big time. The wind was blowing hard and the flies were still so bad that the ladies wanted to leave the beach. The only way to get away from them was to go out on the kayak.

I had to replace my windshield because they were chewing through it to get to me. I really love driving the beaches of NJ but IBSP in the summer is just nuts because of the damn flies.

View PostSome people have had some success with deet, listerine, and lemon eucalyptus oil (Brand name Repel)... Nothing works 100%

Nice!!!

What scumbags