Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimS

PayPal gift Option - READ THIS

39 posts in this topic

DO NOT use PayPal gift option here. We don't consider it a legitimate payment type. Anyone that asks for PayPal gift option will have their post edited or removed entirely. I'm sick and tired of hearing about how people are getting screwed by folks that demand PayPal gift option. It's NOT gonna work here. If you can't pay the whopping 3% PayPal charge, raise your prices or sell your plugs somewhere else.

Anyone that sees someone asking for PayPal gift option, RESPECTFULLY let them know that it won't be tolerated here - and report the thread. Anyone that attacks someone or treats them disrespectfully while telling them about the gift option rules will be immediately added to my short list cwm13.gif

Thanks.

TimS

BTW, the correct term is the Paypal Personal option. The gift option is one of the choices under the personal option. I think all options under the personal option have no paypal protection since if you're using it for merchandise, you are bypassing their fees so they don't care about you then.

How is using Paypal "Gift" different from sending a money order? From what I understand neither offers protection to the purchaser (buyer).

View PostHow is using Paypal "Gift" different from sending a money order? From what I understand neither offers protection to the purchaser (buyer).

I have the same thinking too. confused.gif

IMO, if a MO is used and someone screws you then you have a fraud case witht the post offices assistance and accounting. With Paypal gift you have computer records but you are on your own to make a case and pursue it. Never had to use the post office to back me so I can't speak from experience.

View PostBTW, the correct term is the Paypal Personal option. The gift option is one of the choices under the personal option. I think all options under the personal option have no paypal protection since if you're using it for merchandise, you are bypassing their fees so they don't care about you then.

Raider--you may want to check that. You're not bypassing their fees the only thing your doing is the seller doesn't pay the fee but when you send as a gift the person sending the money is paying the fee instead.

The only reason I know this is because I recently bought a rod from someone and sent the money as a gift and the fee went to me instead of him.

View PostRaider--you may want to check that. You're not bypassing their fees the only thing your doing is the seller doesn't pay the fee but when you send as a gift the person sending the money is paying the fee instead.

The only reason I know this is because I recently bought a rod from someone and sent the money as a gift and the fee went to me instead of him.

You're correct but when I use the personal option, I fund w/ a checking account or paypal balance hence the no fee for either party. The fee is w/ credit cards and debit cards only.

It doesn't make sense to me for you to use the personal option and pay the fee. If you're gonna pay the fee, then you might as well send a regular payment w/ the fees included and then let paypal subtracted from the seller and you're still covered by paypal protection.

View PostRaider--you may want to check that. You're not bypassing their fees the only thing your doing is the seller doesn't pay the fee but when you send as a gift the person sending the money is paying the fee instead.

View PostYou're correct but when I use the personal option, I fund w/ a checking account or paypal balance hence the no fee for either party. The fee is w/ credit cards and debit cards only.

that is correct. funding the payment with a checking account there is no fee.

I would not use this option buying from someone unless they have been a member here for awhile and/or dealt with them before.

How is using Paypal "Gift" different from sending a money order? From what I understand neither offers protection to the purchaser (buyer).

Not sure how it's different, other than people understand the risks of using a money order and people are just now learning about the risks these "Personal Options" through PayPal.

Bottom line is, we don't want anyone here requiring others to pay with the "Personal Options" through PayPal. When they do, and the deal goes south, I have to waste my resources getting to the bottom of it - and unlike PayPal, we DON'T collect ANY fees...ever...so anything that adds more work for us means I'm wasting more money to get to the bottom of this stuff. If that can be avoided by removing what seems to be the newest hassle for us, that's what we're gonna do smile.gif

TimS

Not questioning the decision but was just curious about the difference.

Another thought: At the very least you'll have a mailing address for sending a money order to the seller. With Paypal gift you'll only have an e-mail address.