Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Colrain

Blue parrotfish caught in R.I.

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

A colleague at work told me his nephew recently caught a blue parrotfish in R.I. waters. Said it was approximately 6 lbs. Reported it to R.I. fish and game officials and they stated it was the second one reported this year with no other known catches ever reported previously. Internet states this species usual range is the western atlantic from Maryland south to the bahamas. Colleague is adamant that this is proof that Global warming is alive and well and is showing its effects on our ecosystem. cwm31.gifwink.gif

That's amazing and there is a lot to be said about how your friend feels. I have to agree with him. Some scientists point out that you can set aside all the graphs, charts, tv, movies, web, and media outlets etc. - if you're a student of nature you'll conclude that things are changing. Like finding these fish in R. I. where it sounds like they've never been found before.

Parrot fish, including Blue, have been making their way here for many years. Some years more than others. The fist one I ever saw was over 20 years ago. The guy that caught it, said he had seen them as long as 20 years previous. Ocean currents will carry some pretty strange visitors that get caught up in them.

I grew up fishing at the Goat Island Causeway here in Newport ,RI. You know,the "Callamari Causeway" smile.gif . Well in the the late 60's we had flying fish there ,and a few years later in the mid 70's a kid caught a TARPON there. Sometines the gulf stream meanders and eddies find their way into Narragansett Bay. Not the result of leaving your car running.

All this super warm weather has created a solid trail of just-below-80-degree water from the coast of Florida to Cape Cod.

It's usually an oddball warm-core eddy that shoots all those funny tropical fish up here in the late summer, but it's not the case this year.

I remember reports of mahi mahi hanging around the channel markers outside of Lewis Bay (Nantucket Sound) in the late 90's... not saying it isn't a result of global warming, but this stuff has been happening for a long time.

View PostA colleague at work told me his nephew recently caught a blue parrotfish in R.I. waters. Said it was approximately 6 lbs. Reported it to R.I. fish and game officials and they stated it was the second one reported this year with no other known catches ever reported previously. Internet states this species usual range is the western atlantic from Maryland south to the bahamas. Colleague is adamant that this is proof that Global warming is alive and well and is showing its effects on our ecosystem. cwm31.gifwink.gif

if they get up to maryland i dont think its far fetched to see them up here...

if they normally go to georgia and they find many up here THEN i see your global warming point.

View Postnever been caught does not equal never been here

I agree with that. There have been a few rare visitors up here this year already, maybe they are here every year in small numbers and just are not caught and maybe this has been the first time. I realize that a lot of people are sold on the "were to blame" global warming theory and may be quick to point out that things like rare animal visitors are proof. I'm not sold on that at all. I remember many times over the years where we have had rare fish, birds, insects, etc in places far from their normal range. I recently finished my wildlife biology degree and had the "global warming thing" drilled into me by many professors but I still don't buy into the theory. But I would say better safe then sorry when it comes to doing our little part to help the environment though.

View PostI agree with that. There have been a few rare visitors up here this year already, maybe they are here every year in small numbers and just are not caught and maybe this has been the first time. I realize that a lot of people are sold on the "were to blame" global warming theory and may be quick to point out that things like rare animal visitors are proof. I'm not sold on that at all. I remember many times over the years where we have had rare fish, birds, insects, etc in places far from their normal range. I recently finished my wildlife biology degree and had the "global warming thing" drilled into me by many professors but I still don't buy into the theory. But I would say better safe then sorry when it comes to doing our little part to help the environment though.

Im not totally convinced this is a sign of global warming either but do agree with the "better safe than sorry" statement.

Fish swim its what they do not a sign of warming .. now if you see a flock of Blue Macaws nesting in RI year round the ***** hitting the fan..