Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaveC

Fishing in NJ for the last two weeks of July 2010

Rate this topic

167 posts in this topic

Please, let's keep this thread for reports. If you want to make comments or ask a question or two, that's fine. I do not want the free for all that ensued in the past to become a pattern. Please bear in mind that it's a full time job editing these posts.....don't make that job that much harder, please.

As usual, post reports here.......as little or as much detail as you would like to provide the reader. Please don't post specific street names or areas. Sometimes just a town name is too much information! Doing so only adds to the traffic in certain areas and it might cause an internet feud. For example, you can say that you caught fish in Ocean County but saying that you got them at Ocean Beach is a no-no. Feel free to share any thoughts you might have on local conditions and "I got the old skunkaroo" reports" are OK too.

Some popular acronyms:

SH- Sandy Hook

NoMoCo- Northern Monmouth County

SoMoCo- Southern Monmouth County

SFZ-Spring Fling Zone (SRI-Shark River Inlet to MI- Manasquan Inlet)

OC Ocean County

IBSP-Island Beach State Park

LBI- Long Beach Island

AC- Atlantic County

CISP- Corson's Inlet State Park

CMC- Cape May County

CMR- Cape May Rips

DB- Delaware Bay

Went out front 7 am.. with intentions of fluke. Suicide from a jetty, anyone? Did see a bait ball at a further jetty, tons of birds working. Tons of broken clams everywhere so I imagined stripers around but didn't stick around for long. NE wind, incoming tide, just didn't look fishable this morning.

Nothing from the salt, but took my killies to a FW lake and slayed crappies all morning. Not bad smile.gif They last surprisingly long.

Fished SHB on Tuesday and managed to catch 10 Fluke and 1 Sea Robin. Unfortunately, the biggest one was 17 3/4 inchesfrown.gif but maybe next time I'll catch my keeper. I wasn't using killies this time, I was using Gulp! Gulp really does do better than other baits in my experience. I might go again on Saturday.

-Flounderhooked21

Fished the salt in south jersey with my brother Nate(doombuggy) and we some fun. Keep in mind we're pretty new to saltwater fishing so everything even the little guys are pretty exciting. We fished the surf, inlets and backbays and ended up with 13 flounder, 2 dogfish, 2 kingfish, 2 seabass and 1 blue. Most of the flounder came on gulp shrimp on 3/8oz jigheads and the rest came on small carolina rigs w/squid and fbbw. I love fishing for them that way with my little bass rod. I'm not a big bait n wait guy. Here's a few pics.

Nate's best flounder so far and fish of the day!

IMG_9144.jpg

Your's truely with what was typical of the day's catch. So much fun fishing them with jigs. I found it very similiar to rolling tubes for smallmouth bass on the river.

IMG_9122.jpg

A sweet beach turtle! Diamondback terapin?

IMG_9163.jpg

So I've always been irritated with pwc riders when they get too close while I'm fishing and chalked it up to thier own ignorance. Well today while my brother was unhooking a fish along the edge of the sods, some dude intentinally blasted him with his jetski. I wish I'd had some pyramid sinkers with me!mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

View PostFished the salt in south jersey with my brother Nate(doombuggy) and we some fun. Keep in mind we're pretty new to saltwater fishing so everything even the little guys are pretty exciting. We fished the surf, inlets and backbays and ended up with 13 flounder, 2 dogfish, 2 kingfish, 2 seabass and 1 blue. Most of the flounder came on gulp shrimp on 3/8oz jigheads and the rest came on small carolina rigs w/squid and fbbw. I love fishing for them that way with my little bass rod. I'm not a big bait n wait guy. Here's a few pics.

Nate's best flounder so far and fish of the day!

IMG_9144.jpg

Your's truely with what was typical of the day's catch. So much fun fishing them with jigs. I found it very similiar to rolling tubes for smallmouth bass on the river.

IMG_9122.jpg

A sweet beach turtle! Diamondback terapin?

IMG_9163.jpg

So I've always been irritated with pwc riders when they get too close while I'm fishing and chalked it up to thier own ignorance. Well today while my brother was unhooking a fish along the edge of the sods, some dude intentinally blasted him with his jetski. I wish I'd had some pyramid sinkers with me!mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

very similar to rolling tubes (any jig for that matter) for smallies in the area where you fishing. they also relate to the same types of current breaks in the same ways imo.

dont let the idiots on the jet skis get your dander up too much. get used to it fishing during the day in the summer. you may want to poke around the same area in your pix at night and see who shows up to eat.

welcome to the board btw.

Still catching stripers yet. SoSFZ.

Nice 27inch resident who took drag and ran down the beach on a chunk.

Friend had a big run off. Fought it for three minutes, gone.

NoOc was a kelp fest when we tried for sharks so that is why we moved.

Fluke all over the shore line. High tide, low tide, calm surf, rough surf. No matter. What's working for me is a long cast, a slow to medium retrieve with a continual twitch of the rod to bounce the sinker. When you feel resistance, the fish is usually already on. Gulp 4" pearl swimming mullet.

Yes that is a diamond back terrapin or a malaclemy's or really just terrepin.

Good stuff. Hate the pwc guys, they know we think they are jerks so they are arsehats to us. gotta like their initiative.

Keep up the good fishing. try those same spots at night.

Can someone please confirm that the 'juice' inside a pint or quart of Gulp is the same as the juice in the pkgs. Obviously, not including the scented ones... garlic, shrimp, herring, etc... Thanks!!

2 short fluke on Gulp teaser yesterday.

Back to the bluewater tommorrow for some better action. Always room for more scuba.gif