Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AndreSchwartz

Legend Surf Custom, Ideas?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Building a Legend Surf Custom on a 4SRS106MM2 blank 10'6" 3/4-4. Thinking of putting K frame Titanium SICs. Any ideas on guide placement, number, size? Was thinking of going with a 30, 20, 16, 12, 10, 8, 8, 8T. headscratch.gif

Building for a VanStaal VSB150 with a 2.25" spool, with braid.

Seems like too many transition guides. For braid I'd try to cone down faster and run 8's on out, particularly when building for so light a reel. I'd also consider a TLCSGs as your first three guides. Not that I'm any great expert on it.

KW's are high frAmed guides in the 30 and 40 frames, the rest are about the height of MN frames.

With that said there is no way your going to be able to use the high framed 30 as a stripper with a VS150 if you follow the NGC to a tee. When you create the straight edge it will wind up probably less than 25" from the spool face and your 20 will be super far away from the high framed 30. If I were you I would use other frames or atleast another frame for the stripper guide and go 30,20, 12, 8's.

The KW 30 is just about the same height as a 40. I just built a gsb 132 1M with a VS250 using the KWs and to follow the straight edge I used 30,25,16,10's and worked extremely well.

If you don't plan on utilizing NGC and the straight edge principle then what I just said doesn't matter.

View PostKW's are high frAmed guides in the 30 and 40 frames, the rest are about the height of MN frames.

With that said there is no way your going to be able to use the high framed 30 as a stripper with a VS150 if you follow the NGC to a tee. When you create the straight edge it will wind up probably less than 25" from the spool face and your 20 will be super far away from the high framed 30. If I were you I would use other frames or atleast another frame for the stripper guide and go 30,20, 12, 8's.

The KW 30 is just about the same height as a 40. I just built a gsb 132 1M with a VS250 using the KWs and to follow the straight edge I used 30,25,16,10's and worked extremely well.

If you don't plan on utilizing NGC and the straight edge principle then what I just said doesn't matter.

So would you suggest doing a 30, 25, 16, 10, 8, 8, 8, 8? or? I want to stay with K's throughout

Geometrically, I like the looks of 30-20-12-8-8.......better, but all this is just speculation - until you lay it up and test cast it with your line, your reel, your seat location, and casting style, nobody can do any more than guess at what might work well.

Since you're gonna need all the sizes from 30 down to do this right, I'd go alconite instead of SiC as I personally believe SiC provides only a tiny marginal increase in performance for a huge increase in cost.

View PostSo would you suggest doing a 30, 25, 16, 10, 8, 8, 8, 8? or? I want to stay with K's throughout

Well you don't need more than three reduction guides, if I was gonna run 8mm running guides I would go 30-20-12-8's but again you can't do that layout in KW due to the high framed 30 and standard frame 20. Not to mention with how low the VS150 sit on the blank a high framed 30 won't work, you'll need to use a standard frame 30.

So either use different frames all together or just a different stripper guide frame.

This is only if you are trying to do a strict NGC layout. If you want to do a modified NGC/COF the. It doesn't matter.

View PostWell you don't need more than three reduction guides, if I was gonna run 8mm running guides I would go 30-20-12-8's but again you can't do that layout in KW due to the high framed 30 and standard frame 20. Not to mention with how low the VS150 sit on the blank a high framed 30 won't work, you'll need to use a standard frame 30.

So either use different frames all together or just a different stripper guide frame.

Why not place it closer to the reel then? I wonder how they have it on the new Crazy Alberto rods. There's got to be a way to use all Ks headscratch.gif

View PostKW's are high frAmed guides in the 30 and 40 frames, the rest are about the height of MN frames.

Hey Log can you post some pics of that rod. Ide be very interested to see how it turned out. Thanks

You could also use a reversed MN 30 as a collector in place of the KW - I'd bet my right leg the backwards MN is less tangle prone than the swept-frame KW with its double legs facing the spool too.

I'm not sure what layout they will use on both the new Super Surfs and the new Alberto rods. But I can tell you that a high framed 30 to standard frame 20 will not make for any decent line flow with any layout. Hopefully they will come out with a standard frame KW 30 or they will have to go 30-25 to get any decent angle.

I like EB's idea, that's exactly what I would do if I was set on using KW with a small reel.

Make the straight edge and see what works.

Ernie I'll post a photo later of the KW NGC layed out 11M I recently built.

View PostYou could also use a reversed MN 30 as a collector in place of the KW - I'd bet my right leg the backwards MN is less tangle prone than the swept-frame KW with its double legs facing the spool too.

After MANY test casts, the last two surf rods I built for myself(SU1207 and 1208) are the bees knees with MN's at 30(reversed), 20, 12 then running out 8s..icon14.gif

View PostI'm not sure what layout they will use on both the new Super Surfs and the new Alberto rods. But I can tell you that a high framed 30 to standard frame 20 will not make for any decent line flow with any layout. Hopefully they will come out with a standard frame KW 30 or they will have to go 30-25 to get any decent angle.

I like EB's idea, that's exactly what I would do if I was set on using KW with a small reel.

Make the straight edge and see what works.

Ernie I'll post a photo later of the KW NGC layed out 11M I recently built.

You would not start with a 40?

With a 150 and braid the only reason you might ever need a 40 would be if you had to have the first guide extremely close to the spool, like on a slow-action short boat rod. On a surf rod with that reel and braid, it should never be necessary, in my opinion.

take a little of all these comments tape them on and cast. dont get to caught up in what wont work. a lot of things that "wont work" on paper do add up to much of a difference in casting distance when you actually try it out. I have high frames , k guides sv frame mn frames and i have not problem mixing and matching. when i test cast a new setup i do it in a field first and meassure it it i am trying something new. there are some differences in variuos setups but for fishing (not distance casting) you will find (if you actually meassure it) there isnt to much difference. keep a few things in mind , keep the tip light, control the line, dont use brigger guides than you need, test cast , modify test cast, repeat. truth is if you make a rod wiuth a decent guide set up and want more distance , practice casting!