Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smittyballz

Heading to Stellwagen Bank

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

So I just got a new boat and I am heading out of Hingham to Stellwagen Early Sunday morning. I was wondering what I should expect as this is my 1st trip. What fish are in season? Cod? Haddock? I know tuna are and we will be fishing for Tuna as I just picked up the permit for the boat, and a lot of tuna gear came with the boat. I know there will be plenty of stripers and bluefish as well!!! Any info would be greatly appreciated. I have had zero luck in Boston harbor and am heading out on a fishing charter in a few weeks to learn some things...Stellwagen here I come!! 24 Miles round trip!!! Also what part of the bank is the best?

FYI, don't know if you know this or not, it is illegal to target stripers on the Bank or anywhere beyond 3 miles from shore. If you do and get caught, they will seize your boat, all of your gear, and write some pretty hefty fines. Just making sure you are familiar that law. Don't want to see you get hassled. Aside from that, you'll see the masses of boats out there. Weekends get pretty crowded out there. Good luck and be safe!

I leave out of Scituate and it is 19 miles each way to the southwest corner. Don't believe the Stellwagon website that says 11-12 miles or something like that. You also can not even be in possession of stripers beyond the 3 mile limit. Also, what kind of boat are you in. If you are in anything smaller than a 21'er, then I would make sure that you won't see any higher winds. Saturday looks pretty good, with a SW wind at 5-10.

I think it's were u launch from.Gloucester is 16 1 way if i'm correct.As where to fish the bank is big.I would call some bait shops that cater to tuna like First Light Anglers.Derek and Nat r good guys i'm sure they'll share some insight.Good luck.

Get there early and head home early. As was mention previously, if you're in anything less than 21' it can be a rough ride home. For that matter, it can be a rough ride home in some boats even bigger depending on the hull. The SW winds generally increase from noon to 1 PM so you're going to be headed back in a good chop and it can make for a slow ride home. There are days when you can run the trip in a 16' tin boat. Not many,but there are days. There's a guy out of Green Harbor that we see out there in his 16' open aluminum boat Tuna fishing. He does okay at times, but he'll say the same thing. There aren't that many days he is able to do it in that boat. I personally think he's nucking futs. cwm31.gif

And Hingham is roughly 24 miles each way. Plan your fuel accordingly. 1/3 over, 1/3 back, and 1/3 reserve.

For a boat I have a 2002 2101 SeaSwirl Striper Walk Around with a 200HP Yamaha 2 stroke. I am aware of the striper policy. If we catch one we have to release it.. My intentions are not to catch any but if we do we will just release. I was thinking about going to the sw corner/middle of the bank. A lot of people are saying the NW corner? Any suggestions or are there fish everywhere around the bank?

View PostFor a boat I have a 2002 2101 SeaSwirl Striper Walk Around with a 200HP Yamaha 2 stroke. I am aware of the striper policy. If we catch one we have to release it.. My intentions are not to catch any but if we do we will just release. I was thinking about going to the sw corner/middle of the bank. A lot of people are saying the NW corner? Any suggestions or are there fish everywhere around the bank?

Y ou won't have any trouble finding tuna around the swc,or phb,getting them to eat,is the tricky part.Good luck.

SWC is ~30 miles from Hingham, depends on where you launch from. So, I'd say its about 60 miles round trip. Expect to burn at least 25 gallons of gas just to get there and back.

View PostY ou won't have any trouble finding tuna around the swc,or phb,getting them to eat,is the tricky part.Good luck.

very true....fought a couple fish past few weekends....tough finding anything smaller than 60". biggest we got was 70" ...they are all just fatties...heading out saturday though...hopefully there will be some sushi in my future beers.gif

View PostSWC is ~30 miles from Hingham, depends on where you launch from. So, I'd say its about 60 miles round trip. Expect to burn at least 25 gallons of gas just to get there and back.

25 Gallons with a 200HP... I'd consider myself god if I could pull that off with my 115HP pushing my 17' CC. I burn about 30 gallons for a 40 mile round trip with my boat. Of course that includes trolling for 3-4 hours, but that is a minimal amount of gas compared to motoring to and from the bank. 60 miles with a 200HP, you are looking at more like 35-50 gallons.

Saturday morning is looking pretty good at this point, so I might head out then. Depends on whether or not I can afford the gas.

if you're on a trailer and want to go to the southwest then you should trailer to green harbor or scituate. much shorter runs. hingham is about as far as you can get from that area.