Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
capequahog

canal daytime

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Is it a waste of time trying to fish for keeper bass during daylight in the canal? It has been for me recently. I've been chunking mackerel or pogie, caught one short each of striper and lobstah. Did get to see a whale with a brown and white tale and what appeared to be a couple of large sharks' fins go through though.

First off, welcome..... HappyWave.gif , and you owe us a joke.....just a sort of right of passage..... wink.gif

But to answer your question, this time of year, and over the next 4-5 weeks, I'd say no, daytime is not a waste of time......

But chunks may not be the way to go.....or it may.....who knows..... confused.gif

Today's experience......caught fish on jigs deep from about 4:30 AM until sun-up.......then fish started busting on top just after the sun came over the horizon, and I didn't catch another one, either on a jig or on any variety of the plugs I threw...... redface.gif ......but did see one or two small ones taken on plugs, and one guy got a decent fish up top.....

This time of year, they are starting to round up and feed in prep for their trip down south, so anytime day or night may result in positive results.....though cloudy mid-days might be better than bright sunny days like today......

Good point Big Bald Head. As to joke dues:

There once was a man from Nantucket

Who fished with a rod and a bucket

He liked to drink gin

When his wife wasn't in

So she finally left saying ____ it

Ba da boom!

This is not autobiographical you understand, I never lived on Nantucket.