Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kaldsk

Help with a quantum reel

47 posts in this topic

Hey guys I'm usually a shimano guy, but I got a great price on a previous model of the Quantum Energy PT. It was a new reel just an older model so I picked it up, I really like the feel of the reel, but I am having an issue with it. I have barely used the reel when it started making a screeching sound when I would cast, so I'm thinking that's no biggie, probably just a bearing that needs oil. now the problem I'm having is that I can't get the fricken thing open. From my understanding its supposed to open very easily, it has a small button/sliding lever that is underneath then when you slide it over it should unlock the side which you turn the side and plate and remove it. For the life of me I can't turn the side plate, it doesn't move at all either way, I'm doing my best not to bust the thing, I ordered it online and it was actually the last one they had so I'd prefer not to have to contact them and do a send back and go through that mess and I am trying to avoid sending it to quantum because I'm just too dumb to figure this out. I'm sure it's just a simple solution

anyway here are some pics so you can see what I'm talking about,

hopefully someone is familiar with the quantum reels and can help me out

thanks

Justin

Havent used those specific reels but my guess would be that something got in there and just made it stuck.. If I were you I would get something hard and pointy with a small hammer and just tap it very lightly.. Sometimes it will just "pop" and work whatever is in there out

are those models like the quantum catalyst PT ones do you know? if so, i have the catalyst and had a hard time figuring it out at first but then got the cover off. let me know and i can look at mine to see what i did exactly. i mean, i basically pressed the switch on the bottom and turned the cover pretty hard.

View PostHavent used those specific reels but my guess would be that something got in there and just made it stuck.. If I were you I would get something hard and pointy with a small hammer and just tap it very lightly.. Sometimes it will just "pop" and work whatever is in there out

I would try that but its difficult since that little sliding piece that you have to push to release the side plate is spring loaded, and its tough to hold that open

View Postare those models like the quantum catalyst PT ones do you know? if so, i have the catalyst and had a hard time figuring it out at first but then got the cover off. let me know and i can look at mine to see what i did exactly. i mean, i basically pressed the switch on the bottom and turned the cover pretty hard.

I'm not sure if it's the same, I'm not very familiar with quantum reels but if it just has the little slide lever underneath you're supposed to slide and then be able to turn the side plate to open it that's what this is supposed to do.

yeah ok seems pretty similar. mine's pretty much the same thing as the energy. i can take a look when i get home this afternoon if you still don't have any luck. i just remember thinking the same thing as you when i got it....minus the screeching...

View PostExchange for a shimano and be done w it.

+1

Send it back to Quantum. They will more than likely fix it for free. When you get the reel back sell it and get another Shimano. icon14.gif

View PostHold the little clip all the way in and turn the sideplate down towards the reel foot. My Accurist PT is set up the same way.

the problem is when I hold that clip in the sideplate wont budge, I am putting a lot of force into it too, I read about giving it a couple smacks with a rubber mallet, maybe I'll have to give that a try.

Thanks Anthony I appreciate you taking the time to post some pics for.

At least that confirms I'm attempting to do it the right way haha, the side plate just will not budge, I will have to give it another go later today.

How did you make out? Were you able to get it to move down?

I have an Tour edition that works the same way. Are you sure that the slide is releasing the pin all the way, if it isn't, you will never be able to get it to release. Make sure you pull the slide and hold it with a good about of pressure. If it slides backs a fraction, it will not release. Thats the only thing I can think of that would stop it from releasing. I'd be hard pressed to believe that the reel is frozen.

Good luck!