Ideal Boat?

Rate this topic

audiochem

I realize there's a boat forum, but I'm looking for some feedback specific for NJ.

Basically, I'm in the market for a fishing boat. I plan on spending most of my time in RB or just off Sandy Hook. I don't see myself doing to many tuna runs. Since I'll also be trailering and storing at home, I probably don't want anything bigger than 25'.

Thoughts?

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

16' aluminum boat with a 15-20hp

put $20 bucks in it and drive all day!

-Hey dumbass it's not about a kill or no kill tournament, it's about how much your 2nd favorite club can mug you! That's it...

-the reports thread is the yenta section for NJ..  

-If’n ya cut yer teeth on Ava and teaser fishing please take a seat in the back and keep quite… 

-is monkey see monkey do fishing even fun..?? 
-yes I still fish with mono..  On occasion 

I've been boat fishing the hook for many years now and would definitely (and I'll probably catch flak for this) recommend not going smaller than a 21'. I know a lot of guys out there fish in smaller boats, which are completely capable of being out there, but there have been a few times where the weather kicked up or the boat traffic had made the water angry and i was grateful that I went for a 21' with a deep V. As for manufacturer, I own a Wellcraft that has been a workhorse and I'm grateful that i did A LOT of boat shopping before i purchased. Basically you have to consider what you need the boat for....do you have kids? is the boat going to be a family/fish boat? maybe you might want to get something with a cuddy so the kids can get out of the sun for awhile. I would definitely look for something with fish boxes in the floor, aerated baitwell, possibly a raw water washdown system to clean the bluefish blood off the entire boat (I hate those demons, but they are fun). My neighbor bought a 17' and is afraid to go around the hook...some seaman he is! Good Luck and ask around, everyone has their own preference and loyalties...I personally love my Wellcraft.

Do you want to trailer or slip it? Where will you ideally put in? Do you want to combine it with pleasure craft type duty, for example kids cruises or towing skiers or is it just fishing. Will you take it on the road to destinations as well?

Do you mind buying used or do you want to go new? Is a big strong motor key?

Not that we need to know all this, but its helpful if you do. There are so many variables that once YOU have them all listed, the options start to thin out and your answer becomes easier to find.

Good luck!

"He's a good stick" - Mr. Miyagi"  ~  "Yep!" - Captain Dingo

"How are you doing that" - Jimmy the Mate  ~  "Shipwreck is one of those guys!" - Capt. Freddy Gamboa

For RB and "just off" Sandy Hook (0-3 miles?), I would look into something in the 20-22 foot range, center console, 4 stroke Yamaha or Suziki stroke engine.

Then you need to set a budget. That will determine what type of boat you can afford. There are some great used boat deals out there right now.

"Where is my mind?  Waaaaay out in the water see it swimming?"

I agree that I probably wouldn't want anything smaller than 21' and since I'll be trailering, probably stay under 25'. I plan on buying used and my budget is around $10-15K.

I think I would prefer an outboard over an inboard or i/o, but I'm not sure of the pros and cons. Also, should you consider a kicker motor? It just seems like it would be smart to have a second motor should your main crap-out all of a sudden.

Since I would like to have the capacity for 8 people, I will probably need something with at least 130 HP, but this depends on total weight and hull design. I definitely want a cuddy below for the kids. I guess this eliminates the center consoles.

Any model suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for the info.

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.