Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishing

Pouring Plastics

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Anyone on here pour their own plastics?? Im just starting to look into it and wondering if its worth the costs and time????? I would probably only do 4-6 molds for freshwater worms.. senkos etc.

I was lucky enough to talk to someone who does this themselves and they explained in detail the process. After looking into doing it on my own it does save you a nice chunk of change, especially if you have a lot of old plastics lying around that you dont use anymore. I have been meaning to get started just have not had the time.

I've been doing it for about 2 years now (saltwater baits). I helped several other get involved too.

There nothing to it. Not only do you save a lot of $$$, but being able to color and design your own baits improves your fishing immeasurably.

It a very addicitive hobby.

Agree with Bob G, a good hobby. Messed around with them on and off for several years and just got back into it. Been doing a number of soft plastics this year for freshwater. Even made a mold or two. Google Lurecraft. They have all the stuff you need. Initial investment is pretty small (couple of molds, plastisol, coloring, pouring pans, small stove). I recommend doing it outside as it can get smelly. You'll find some additional info in the lure forum here on making baits and molds.

Jigman

Where do you guys get your plastic from? I know that Husky has mentioned plastisol in the past, but I don't know where do buy it. Otherwise, I guess Janns is the best place to go? headscratch.gif

Also, another question specifically for those pouring 9" sluggos... Approximately how many baits would I get out of a gallon of plastic from Janns?

I havent figured the numbers accurately because I mix a lot of the used pieces (and I havent really paid attention) with the new formula, but I would guess it would be around 80 9" ers.

View PostAny good "fake" HOGY molds? I do like hogy's except for the price. One bluefish and there goes some $$.

My guess is that a Hogy is a two piece mold, because of the hook slot in the belly. You probably won't find too many out there.

View PostAny good "fake" HOGY molds? I do like hogy's except for the price. One bluefish and there goes some $$.

Check out the link Blazing posted, you can make your own molds.

You don't need a stove or a pouring pan. An old microwave and a cheap 8 oz Pyrex measuring cup will do.

One key is heating the plastic to the point that the liquid plastisol is clear. The baits won't set right if you don't get all of the milky color out of it--and if you overheat it, you get a yellowish cast to it, which will lead to funky colors--which might turn out to be very productive. Adding a little white pearl powder coloring to it makes the baits more opaque.

I have an older microwave--not very powerful. After some trial and error, I found out that the magic number for 8 oz of plastic is 4:15. I take the cup out at that point, stir it with a plastic handle from an old cake icing spreader, add my color to the desired shade, add about an eighth of a teaspoon of white pearl, mix well until the powder is blended, and re-heat for about 30 seconds. Then I start pouring. Depending on how neatly I pour, I can get up to eight 9" Sluggo baits out of 8 oz of plastisol. If the plastisol ws heated correctly, the baits will set in 2-3 minutes. I remove the old slag, and any scrap pieces of old plastic, stack them in a pile on my workbench, and re-heat them when I have enough for 3-4 new baits--you can also play around with colors here.

It's a lot of fun, you save money in the long run (commercial molds can run $15 apiece for a two cavity 9" Sluggo mold, but they're made from silicon and last forever). You can make your own molds out of about a quarter's worth of plaster of paris and Elmer's glue. My silicon molds have a raised portion that creates the hook slot on the bottom of the bait. An 8 oz bottle of color lasts forever. 8 drops goes a long way. The plastisol runs about $40 a gallon, and a gallon is good for over 100 baits. By the time you use up your first gallon, you've recovered the cost of the molds and the plastisol in money saved on buying Sluggos.

For two color baits, you use two Pyrex cups, 4 oz in each, and the same cooking time. You pour the base color first, and the top color over it right away. The stuff should stay hot enough to pour 8 two color baits. Or you can pour 4, reheat both cups for about 15 seconds, and do the next 4.

For saltwater baits, you want the harder #500 formula plastisol. Use the softer #502 for freshwater baits. You can also buy hardener, which you mix with plastiol in a ratio of 16 parts plastisol to one part of hardener.

Nice info Ditch. Do you find the #500 gets you pretty much the same consistency as a store bought Sluggo? Have you tried pouring rubber shads with this method?

333$ shipped from larry dahlbergs site will get you everything you need to build your own soft plastics and hard plastic baits. (other than dies

Add to that a gram scale 19$, two 4 cup pyrex measuring cups. 20$ for 2 stainless steal turkey basters.

Now you can copy pretty much any lure in the world.

If you want to make molds of platics other than sluggos or hogeys. You need more than just a flat top mold. especially with curl tails. and senkos. Thats with the walmart silicon and plaster molds don't work well at all.

Yep, you can do rubber shads this way. I've done some, plus some swimbaits. Ditch is right, it can be done with a pyrex cup in the microwave. I use a single eye stove (around $25 from Wallyword) so I can take the whole mess outside to heat and pour.

Jigman