Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
acrylic

If you had to choose only 3 plugs

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

If you had only 3 lures to choose for the following conditions what would they be? Conditions are:

-open sandy bottom beach (south shore)

-1 to 3 foot seas

-fishing from dusk to darkness

-outgoing tide

-fairly calm, not much wind

Let's also assume you have all the assorted bucktails in various weights, all with some kind of trailer (pork or plastic curly tail) as well as assorted tins/spoons and rubber swim shads. I'm extremely new to this sport so I'm just trying to get a feel for what to throw based on conditions. What would be your first lure out of the bag? Any help is much appreciated.

Dusk to dark.....

#1 - SS Sinking littleneck popper

#2 - 16A or 17A Bomber - size based on what bait was around

#3 - SS Darter or Bottle Darter or Needlefish - Again based on what bait was around.

Caveat - I usually start in the dark, and the list would not be the same.biggrin.gif

View Post7" & 10" double-wide Hogys... I seriously think I'll be throwing these 75% of my trips this year.

I've become a huge fan after Block and Cutty trip

We had a 14 inch doublewide proto in our possesion...let me tell you, the fish were all over it and all big

View PostIf you had only 3 lures to choose for the following conditions what would they be? Conditions are:

-open sandy bottom beach (south shore)

-1 to 3 foot seas

-fishing from dusk to darkness

-outgoing tide

-fairly calm, not much wind

Let's also assume you have all the assorted bucktails in various weights, all with some kind of trailer (pork or plastic curly tail) as well as assorted tins/spoons and rubber swim shads. I'm extremely new to this sport so I'm just trying to get a feel for what to throw based on conditions. What would be your first lure out of the bag? Any help is much appreciated.

dusk to darkness is a very short window

ss little neck popper

metal lip swimmer

Hogy doublewide

View PostI've become a huge fan after Block and Cutty trip

We had a 14 inch doublewide proto in our possesion...let me tell you, the fish were all over it and all big

Z were they pre-rigged? Wieghtless or jig head?

Thanks,

ErikT

Thank you all for your responses and helping a new guy out. In my research (forum searches, talking to the B&T guys), most say darters are mainly for places with strong current like inlets, jetties etc. On the open beach I don't really ever see a strong side to side current. What's your opinion on working darters from the open beach? This precludes the mag darter which I think behaves a lot like a bomber and is worked the same way. Thanks again guys.

View PostI've become a huge fan after Block and Cutty trip

Z, I'd be all over the 14'ers, and have no doubt the large were killing it. Do they have any plans on releasing anytime soon? I think I order stuff from them once a week redface.gif

View PostDusk to dark.....

#1 - SS Sinking littleneck popper

#2 - 16A or 17A Bomber - size based on what bait was around

#3 - SS Darter or Bottle Darter or Needlefish - Again based on what bait was around.

Caveat - I usually start in the dark, and the list would not be the same.biggrin.gif

Thanks for replying. You mentioned you'll throw certain sizes based on what bait is around. A lot of times though you can't see what bait is around. What do you do then? Do you just know based on time of year what is most likely to be around? Is there a general pattern for when certain baits come through certain areas (ex. south shore long island)?