How many here have applied for and received unemployment benefits?

Rate this topic

SallyGrowler

Personally - I was laid off when my old firm imploded back in 1994. I was on unemployment for all of two months.

Back then, you had to show up in person to apply, watch a film, and report back every two weeks with names and numbers of people that interviewed you. At least that's what they told you to do.

In reality - when I would show up with resume` and employment contacts, the Unemployment office in Neptune wouldn't even ask to see them.headscratch.gif

I saw the same characters loitering outside and the granting of extensions was almost automatic without investigation.

What I didn't know: my unemployment benefits were shelled out in weekly checks for a gross amount that was greater than my prior net paycheck.

The option was not presented to me as far as netting after tax. I had to pay taxes on the benefits when all was done.

After a few weeks of hitting the bricks I took a low level job to keep my brain in the markets. Dialing and Smiling.

I contacted the unemployment office and reported to them that they could stop sending checks as I was employed - albeit far less money than I received from the govt. and my hours increased from 9-5 to 7-7

It was a personal choice and a lot of pride - I felt cheapened by the unemployment policy.

The UE office kept sending me checks. I went in person to tell them to stop, They were dumbfounded. Reluctantly - they removed me from the roles.

Even though I was employed and legally obliged to report this, they alluded that I could opt to continue based on the nature of the current pay.

That's fraud, and I didn't want any part of it.

Now - I'm told that all you have to do is submit your claim on-line, get a job getting paid under the table and you can keep that ball rolling for as long as you want.

I've never collected. Not a single dime. In my first job out of college there were rumors about layoffs and I so wanted one as I was looking for a new gig anyway. I watched in horror as no one in our group got axed and the group next to us was laid off in a good economy at the beginning of June. redface.gif

Nope, not even when I was told to apply for it when I got out of the Army. I never looked into it, went wild for a month or so, then got work.

But I did have the luxury of not needing it.

Mike P (Husky)
Hammer Mechanic, 1st class

View PostNow - I'm told that all you have to do is submit your claim on-line, get a job getting paid under the table and you can keep that ball rolling for as long as you want.

work for dole would stop that wink.gif

I have been unemployed twice - never collected, never would unless i was physically incapable of working two minimum wage jobs to make ends meet.

Disclaimer: the above may not represent the actual views of the writer, but may have been expressed sarcastically/ ironically with the sole intention of providing humour. That notwithstanding, the writer retains the right to be emotionally, psychologically or alcohol/substance impaired at the time of writing

(*member formerly known as 'guernseybass')

Technically I can, but its a very bad idea.

Work for a month for, say, Clair Brothers. Gig ends, and I can get a check by stating I was "laid off" due to lack of work. BIG black ball would appear on my head (the :employer gets some kind of notice). A few people have tried that stunt and you don't see them around much anymore.

“My happiness is not the means to any end. It is the end. It is its own goal. It is its own purpose.”

Ayn Rand

View Postthat is a luxury,

when you have nothing to fall back on, and bills to pay, it's a different story.

same story IMHO - there's always work somewhere, that is what the greyhound bus is for, and to some extent passports.

for a nation of largely economic migrants not to migrate to work doesn't make sense to me.

Disclaimer: the above may not represent the actual views of the writer, but may have been expressed sarcastically/ ironically with the sole intention of providing humour. That notwithstanding, the writer retains the right to be emotionally, psychologically or alcohol/substance impaired at the time of writing

(*member formerly known as 'guernseybass')

cwm27.gif

i've lost track of how many times i've been laid off (or about to get laid off). you have to love firm implosions.

i've only collected, however, for one stint. for the most part, i lucked out landing in other places before the ink was dry on the pink slips.

my most fun-est period of funemployment, and, in retrospect, i really mean that, because i sorely needed the time off, was getting $hit canned in early October.

it was a chance to re-charge and hang out with a lot of SOL-ers ... fishing really hard.

View Postwork for dole would stop that wink.gif

I have been unemployed twice - never collected, never would unless i was physically incapable of working two minimum wage jobs to make ends meet.

I was young and scared. I thought I would be out of the industry by virtue of my former boss' reputation.

I asked people what I should do and the answer was - go get yer UE.

I had to maintain rent (what a ****hole apt) and I worked some mornings for a few charter capts.

I think cold-calling was the worst job I ever had.

After 15 years of employment using, installing, troubleshooting & repairing, developing applications, providing training, designing & manufacturing, and selling analytical instrumentation I'm still unemployed. Not bitter about it, I chose try and sell analytical instrumentation costing 250K a piece to universities, oil companies, food companies, the government etc and got burned as the economy slumped and capital purchase budgets got slashed.

If I relocated back to New England I would be working today with a prior company but I'm not going to uproot my family from an ideal setting for raising kids and while my wife continues to advance in her career.

I'm basically challenged with looking for chemistry related applications or sales positions in Minneapolis and there aren't very many open. Not sure what lies next, I'll continue to look for positions that are in my field of expertise but have opened up my search. An opportunity selling carpet may present itself. Part time work as a fitness consultant is on my radar. I never gave it much thought but maybe a small business catering to midwest fishermen or HS science teacher is a possibility (do they let conservatives teach in HS?...wink.gif)

I'm not conflicted about taking the weekly unemployment check. I've paid into it and don't mind seeing some of my money come back to me.

View PostWhy do yu want to know and why the poll?

why not? I left the polling data anonymous, and it relates to the other thread.

There are a lot of people that are all for UEI but have never experienced the process or taken a dime of it.

If you don't want to answer - no problemo.

Worked as a roofer for most of a year right after college. Got a seasonal lay off for the winter although when weather permitted we worked a day or two a week breaking ice dams and a few repairs. Working a day or two left me with less take home but it seemd to make the UE people happy as they had no expectations that anyone was hiring roofers in the winter.

I don't know if it's still this way in building trades but it was just assumed you went and got UE when weather didn't permit regular and continuous employment.

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

View Post

Now - I'm told that all you have to do is submit your claim on-line, get a job getting paid under the table and you can keep that ball rolling for as long as you want.

it's called " working the system "

the foreigners can do it with aplumb!

"Gradatim Ferociter / Carpe Diem / No Guts, No Glory

"I hate taxes, and Communism, and inflation. Now, get to work, and remember that the person who makes decisions around here is ME." Ronald Reagan