Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
iphish

I guess you shouldn't take your wife fishing

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

biggrin.gif

July 13, 2010 5:33 PM

RYE - Paramedics responded Tuesday afternoon to a jetty off Rye Harbor following reports of a fisherman being accidentally hooked in the face by his wife.

Fire Lt. Ron Horden said the call came in around 2:40 p.m. and the man took a large No. 3 hook in the chin.

Horden said the man and his wife were fishing at the very end of the jetty, which extends from Ragged Neck State Park, when the accident occurred.

The stainless steel hook was described as being about 3 inches long and used for striper fishing, Horden said.

"They were at the end of the jetty fishing for striper when she went to cast her line out and got the husband at the same time right under his lower lip," Horden said.

The barbed hook penetrated the man's skin, but did not come out the other end, Horden said.

Horden said firefighters responded quickly to the scene due to reports that the man was unconscious after the accident.

The man was "conscious and embarrassed" when firefighters arrived on scene, Horden said.

"He walked off the jetty by himself," he said.

The man was not local and was reportedly a U.S. Marine who was scheduled to ship out with his company sometime on Wednesday, said Horden. He was taken to Portsmouth Regional Hospital for further evaluation and to have the hook removed, Horden said

Yup, ya ain't lived til you've had a 16 oz diamond jig with a 12 lb cod on it dangling and flopping hooked thru the web by your thumb. Never saw the mates move so fast. But then it WAS the Yankee Fleet.. ( Gloust. Ma.)

Alone on my boat I took the upper treble to my right hand index finger knuckle. I am right handed. Hook went in and barb came out in 2 spots.

It hurts and it looks pretty nasty.

Trouble was a very much alive & angry 6-8 lbs blue fish was still attached to the rear trebel hook. The blue was hooked bottom lipped and top lipped shut.

It gets better,

I am adrift & closing in on a semi submerged rock, with waves, now I need to move the boat, find my glasses, locate my pliers/knife, hold this fish from moving, un hook him left handed while being limited of how much play I have between treble hook in my finger and the one on this fish. i.e. I can't push the lower treble back into his mouth without putting my treble hooke laced fingers in his mouth.

the good news. I had a firm power grip with my left hand of this blues head.

I kept the thought of "I am so F**Ked" from entering my head. One step at a time. I moved the boat with assistants of my hip and elbows. Found my glasses put them on with my mouth, elbows, and head. Found my pliers, knife and boga, first order of business was to drive a knife right thru the blues head. after some initial flapping, man that hurt. Once total convinced the fish is dead. I painstakenly remove the treble from the blue fish left handed, with my foot on him. Took a while, finally thru him overboard- he was eventually picked up by an osprey. Not before scaring the crap out of me. the osprey landed on the bow rail to take a look at the floating blue and my blood on the boat deck.

Next crimped the protruding barb shut. Next removal, it was tougher than I thought-skin and flesh are pretty resiliant. Pulled the hook out in a by driving it back in and working it back and fourth along the curve of the hook.

Once the hook was out, I found a butter fly bandage in my first aid kit, put it on my finger and kept fishing- with the same lure!

Hook mishaps make me go all rubbery legged. My brother got a little treble hooked past the barb in his finger last year, and had to yank it out, but while it was in there, I about fainted. I think I'd have been fine if it was me, but I got all pale and woozy.

View PostHe's probably safer in Iraq or Afghanistan with his buddies than on the jetty with his wife.

I thought the same thingtongue.gif

lol

I had a similar fate with a blue last year. Caught him on the outgoing just past the navy yard. Flopping around in the boat got one tremble deep into my instep with the bluefish still on the plug.Trying to steer and get the fish off, what fun. Ended up at local ER. Doctor's way to remove a hook that was in very deep but not all the way thru was to tie a string on the hook and yank it out OUCH! An experience one doesn't forget. Still get pains in my foot from time to time. Love them bluefish