Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Darth Baiter

Yakima ShowBoat loading system

10 posts in this topic

Opinions? I did a search and didn't find much. I'm looking for more than the current dead lift to the top of a Sequoia by myself and a Hullavator is not in the cards. On-line price of $136, shipped with support bars, is within my budget. Looks like it will work and make rear loading easier than the current side load. Comments?

that looks like it would work. I'm still dead lifting. Although for my local trips (less than 30 miles typically) I have a bed extender I put in the trailer hitch receiver and strap onto that. It works pretty well with the back seats folded down in the Trailblazer. Next year I'm thinking of getting a trailer if I can find an inexpensive one.

It looks pretty cool, but I'd be concerned with someone spinning off the nuts and making off with the Showboat.

I've been using the cheater bar (Yakima Boat Loader) for a few years now. It works great once you get used to it. I lay a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet on the top edge and side of the car. If the boat slides on the loader and contacts the car, the carpet is in the way and it won't scratch the car.

View PostIt looks pretty cool, but I'd be concerned with someone spinning off the nuts and making off with the Showboat.

I've been using the cheater bar (Yakima Boat Loader) for a few years now. It works great once you get used to it. I lay a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet on the top edge and side of the car. If the boat slides on the loader and contacts the car, the carpet is in the way and it won't scratch the car.

I plan on removing the roller section of the ShowBoat, if I go this route, and storing in the vehicle when not in use.

I found the Boat Loader/cheater bar after sourcing this and printed out the instructions. I have a factory rack but that doesn't preclude me from making my own cheater bar now that I understand the functional concept.

i have a ford sport trac with a cap, i throw a towel on the cap and lift the revo up on the towel then pick up the stern and slid it on to a thule glide and set. im 52 and have been useing the thule for 4 years with no problems except its wearing out from use. having a tail gate helps a lot when loading.

View Posti have a ford sport trac with a cap, i throw a towel on the cap and lift the revo up on the towel then pick up the stern and slid it on to a thule glide and set. im 52 and have been useing the thule for 4 years with no problems except its wearing out from use. having a tail gate helps a lot when loading.

----! I didn't even think about using the tailgate on my Mistu Outlander! It is a split, bottom half can go down while top can be closed. I am still struggling solo loading the fishing yak. Bad elbow and bad shoulder... Hopefully in the next few weeks build a rolling kayak rack that is the same height to load and unload at home.

2009-mitsubishi-outlander-38_800x0w.jpg

OK, so I bought a ShowBoat and finished installing this weekend. You are supposed to be able to install everything under your crossbars so it can be used to load canoes hull up as I like to carry my 2 man yak hull up. Not enough clearance under my Sequoia crossbars so everything got top mounted. With the top mount the roller sits higher than my padded crossbar so initially the yak rests on the roller once it's on top of the truck. Not really a problem since I planned on removing the roller when traveling. Two Allen screws and it pulls right off. To load - the roller pulls out to the edge of my hatch, lift up one end of the yak and rest it on the roller. Pick up the other end and roll it up and onto my cross bars - nice and easy. Remove roller and strap everything down. The only issue I see is making sure I have enough clearance behind the truck for the entire length of the yak when loading and unloading. I also looked at Hully-rollers and while they may be cheaper, I'm not sure they extend far enough to clear some hatches on many trucks. The ShowBoat roller just clears my hatch and within the extension limits Yakima recommends with the rear factory crossbar as far back as possible. I may fine tune my install as time goes on but initially this does the job pretty much as I hoped it would. biggrin.gif