Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jonny

Spearing, Sandeels, Etc.

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Hi All -- Lots of little stuff around, including silversides/spearing, sandeels, some baby bunker and some little baitfish I can't identify. Had a bluefish cough up something that looked like a fat little bay anchovy, but it was too chubby -- maybe a little sea herring? Anyway, here's some simple flies I like to use -- just bucktail, saddles, and synthetic dubbing coated for the head. Hope everyone's out there fishing through the heat!

Sweet yo! Looks similar to the foxtail patterns you had saltwater flyfishing mag. Keep up the good work brotha... I'm headed to the cape the last week of July. Thinking of trying some night fishing. Although I value sleep too much. We'll see.

Hi Again Guys --

Will -- the hooks range from #4 to 1/0 and 2/0, but the bigger ones are Owner Mosquitos or Gamakatsu Finesse, which are sized very small. Flies are only 2-4" long.

Greg -- Good luck on the Cape. Fishing with Jim or Joe? I'll be up there second half of August

Chris -- Whassup? Having a good season? Any fly tying brainstorms? Been crazy busy with work and life, and chasing mostly non-stripery fish this year, but will do more as the summer moves into fall, I hope.

Mattheus -- Yep, a lot like a Cage Fly, but this material isn't flashy and blends very naturally into the tail. Also gets translucent when wet. How are the Peacocks and Dorado?

View Post....Chris -- Whassup? Having a good season? Any fly tying brainstorms? Been crazy busy with work and life, and chasing mostly non-stripery fish this year, but will do more as the summer moves into fall, I hope.

Season has been pretty good to me thus far . . . Getting pshyced for pelagics now. Life has been keeping me pretty busy and I haven't had too much vice time. . . . I have been able to get out to some of my local trout haunts though, speaking of..did you and Mr. Nelson hit the Deleware for May/June?

Danny -- Yep, Lazer Dub and on a few some similar synthetics. It helps to have longer fibered dubbing or hair that will trail back over the tail.

Chris -- I had some great days in April and early May on the D, but then had to bow out for work an other fishing (Baja in May -- awesome!). Water warmed quickly, ending the mainstem and lower East, which are my favorites. After I quit, David continued to spend tons of time up there and caught more 20" trout than anyone should in a lifetime. Really, it's incredible how well he did, and how good he's gotten at it. I'm jealous, and plan to be poaching his rising fish this fall! I'm also lying in wait for the Bonito and Albies. The bluefins are too big for me now. I liked them when they weighed a lot less than I do! And then there's smallies in CT rivers ...